Celebrate Women’s History Month With These 8 Must-Read Books
March is Women’s History Month, the perfect time to celebrate strong women — from vision science closing the gender gap to those giving positive body image advice. And here’s the great thing: You can read about a lot of these women in their own words. More and more #girlbosses are entering into the publishing world lately, and we are thrilled. So bookworms, here’s your definitive reading list for Women’s History Month (or any time throughout the year when you want to feel empowered).
1. My Life on the Road by Gloria Steinem ($28): What better way to kick off the celebration than reading a memoir by an iconic feminist. Gloria Steinem has done — and continues to do — so much for women everywhere that we couldn’t think of a more appropriate read for this month.
2. We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie ($9): This transcript of a TED Talk by an award-winning novelist is required reading for all 16-year-olds in Sweden. How amazing is that?!
3. What Will It Take to Make a Woman President? by Marianne Schnall ($17): Relevant right now for obvious, Hillary-related reasons, read up on why there hasn’t ever been a woman president, and why it’s time for that to change.
4. All the Single Ladies: Unmarried Women and the Rise of an Independent Nation by Rebecca Traister ($27): A book that celebrates the single girl lifestyle in a way you’ve probably never thought of, this pick dives into the massive social and economic impact single women have always had on our society.
5. Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling ($25): Mindy’s always been an unapologetic, body-positive feminist, and her new book is chock-full of that energy — plus some really amazing life advice.
6. Rising Strong by Brené Brown ($27): Brené’s TED Talk is famous for diving into vulnerability, shame and courage in a completely new way. Now she’s written this guide to life, featuring a very important message: “Rising strong after a fall is how we cultivate wholeheartedness.”
7. Year of Yes: How to Dance It Out, Stand in the Sun and Be Your Own Person by Shonda Rhimes ($25): Is there anyone in the world who doesn’t think Shonda Rhimes is a completely brilliant badass? If there is, we don’t want to meet them. Read about what happens when you say YES to life in this amazing memoir.
8. The Feminist Utopia Project: Fifty-Seven Versions of a Wildly Better Future edited by Alexandra Brodsky and Rachel Kauder Nalebuff ($20): Ever had the frustrating experience of having someone ask you, “Well, what’s the alternative?” when you point out sexism? This book is chock full of answers you can use.
Which of these is going on your Women’s History Month reading list? Tweet us about it @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)