By now, you’re probably a pro at making all of the breads, from loaves laced with beer to cinnamon buns. Now we’re here with a new challenge: Bagels. We’ve rounded up 13 terrific recipes for the well-loved breakfast staple. Whether you keep things classic with New York style or prefer a more worldly or seasonal variety, we have you covered. For bonus points, whip up a batch of flavored butter to spread atop your creations!
1. Plain Bagels: What a terrific jumping off point into the world of bagel making. You can’t go wrong with a plain bagel. Instructions for making a couple variations, including sourdough and onion cheese, are also included. (via Thibeault’s Table)
3. New York Style Blueberry Bagels: Simply stunning. These blueberry bagels are sure to be loved by everyone, even bagel purists. We’re looking at you, Harry from Sex and the City. (via Heather’s French Press)
5. Beet Bagels with Whipped Blue Cheese: The combination of beet bagels with a whipped blue-cheese cream cheese (say that three times fast) sounds amazing. We’re adding this to our beet-recipes-to-make list, stat. (via Club Narwhal)
6. Momofuku Milk Bar Bagel Bombs: On first glance, these little bagels look totally unassuming, right? Once you bite ’em, though, you’ll reveal a surprise inside — bacon-scallion-cream-cheese stuffing. (via Hummingbird High)
8. Grilled Banana Maui Bagels: What a sunny way to start the day. Toasted bagels are slicked with a combo of nut butters then topped with pan-grilled coconut and orange-zest-sprinkled bananas reminiscent of Bananas Foster without all the sugar and booze. (via Healthy. Happy. Life.)
What’s your favorite bagel style? Flavor? Let’s talk carbs in the comments below!