Just Beet It! 18 of Our Favorite Root Recipes
Did you know that the word beautiful is rooted in the word beet (bee[t]‑ü‑ti‑fəl)? Okay, while that
may not be true is definitely not true, it should be, because beets are totally the most gorgeous root vegetables of all. From their deep blood reds to candy cane-stripes to sunny golden hues, brighten up your plate this winter with these 18 un-beet-able recipes!
6. Warm Lentil Salad with Roasted Beets and Goat Cheese: Whether you’re easing back into solid food after a juice cleanse or simply looking for a healthy meal that feels indulgent, this salad is it. (via Many Kitchens)
7. Vegetable Nori Rolls with Crunchy Lentils and Turmeric: If you can’t stomach the swimming stuff in sushi, dip your toes into the nori-wrapped world of vegan, gluten-free rolls with this veggie-packed version. (via Food Fitness FreshAir)
8. Beet Latkes with Horseradish Crème Fraîche: Another terrific latke recipe to add to your repertoire. These beet-based fritters are thoughtfully seasoned with dill and chives, then served with a dollop of kicky crème fraîche. (via The View from Great Island)
9. Roasted Beet, Arugula, Goat Cheese, and Honey Crostini: Whether you make a meal out of these crostini or serve them up as an app at your next party, you can’t go wrong. (via Gimme Some Oven)
11. Wine Poached Pears with Beet and Pomegranate: Whether you use red wine or not, these spiced pears will take on a gorgeous ruby hue courtesy of the beets and pomegranate seeds! (via Elephants and the Coconut Trees)
12. Spiced Dark Chocolate Beet Cake with Cardamom Infused Cream: Would you guess that this decadent chocolate cake is both flourless AND contains about a half pound of beets? (via Two Loves Studio)
14. Pancetta, Golden Beet, and Gorgonzola Pasta: It’s hard to spot the golden-colored beets tucked among the pasta, making this dish a great way to sneak in a little veggie action. The cheese and a touch of Italian bacon don’t hurt either. (via Bitchin’ Camero)
16. Raw Beet and Berry Liver Cleanse: After shaking your way through our cocktail archives, this juice may be just what the doctor ordered. (Granted, we’re not medical experts, but whatever.) (via Bare Root)
17. Sumac Thyme Roast Chicken with Strawberry-Beet Watercress: We’d never in a million years think to combine beets and strawberries, but Ms. Mollenkamp makes it work as a terrific spring-summer accompaniment to roast chicken. Yum! (via Aida Mollenkamp)
18. Poached Eggs with Greens and Garlic on Toast: Put a
bird egg on it! Another terrific way to use up those beet greens, these toasts would be a terrific centerpiece for your next brunch. (via Paprika Red)
Have you already fallen for this sometimes under-appreciated, earthy veg or are you still rooted in doubt? Talk to us in the comments!