We know what you’re thinking — “Watercolor table linens? But won’t the color wash out?” Not to worry; we have a hack to create a washable watercolor masterpiece for your table using fabric paint and water. And it won’t wash out! This DIY is so easy. After making one, you will want to watercolor your entire linen collection. Create these gorgeous textiles and you might be so mesmerized by their beauty that you forget to eat!
– fabric paint
– table cloths, table runners and napkins
– paint brushes of various sizes
– foam brush
– cardboard scraps
– paper towels
1. Place the cardboard on the table underneath the linen you are working on.
2. Soak the foam brush in water and dampen an area of the cloth.
3. Dip your paintbrush directly into the fabric paint and apply it to the damp piece of cloth.
4. Take the sponge brush and dampen another portion of the cloth. Be sure to bring the brush up to the edge of the already-painted portion to allow the colors to bleed into each other.
5. Once you have the desired look of your watercolor linen, allow it to dry for at least an hour.
Soak up your foam brush with water and brush it onto a section of your linen. The more water you use, the lighter the color will be.
Dip your brush into the color of your choice and apply it to the wet area of your linen.
At this point, feel free to add other colors to the mix to allow the colors to run together, or add more water to the edge to add an ombre effect.
One watercolor technique we used was to create “blooms.” Blooms happen when you add a drop of fabric paint on the damp cloth and the color begins to fan out or blossom.
Continue adding water and paint to your linen until you have reached your desired look. Allow it to completely dry (usually about an hour).
And that’s it! Set it out, throw a dinner party, wipe your hands on it or hang it on the wall, because you have just made your own work of art!
We loved this idea so much we decided to make a whole set of linens.
We added gold flatware to really make the colors pop.
Bust out your favorite drinks and snacks and your guests will be in awe of your creation.
What linens will you make into a watercolor masterpiece? Share your creation with us using the hashtag #iamcreative.