When the sun is out and the thermometer reads a balmy 80 degrees (swoon), getting out and staying active is a whole lot easier than way back when you had to trudge through slush-covered streets and single-digit temps to get to the gym. Yoga on the beach, early morning runs through the park and SUP class on Saturday morning — sounds downright dreamy, right? That said, working on your fitness on a sizzlin’ summer day means saying sayonara to that trusty pair of sweats — it’s just too hot. But that’s where these style-approved options come in. From sassy sports bras to bright, breathable sneakers, these 23 workout essentials will inspire you to get moving all summer long.
1. The Player by Victoria’s Secret Racerback Sport Bra ($15): Your impeccable sense of style doesn’t stop at the gym door. Strut into spin class like the fashion goddess you are with a bright, graphic sports bra that could easily be paired with a mesh tank and leather-look joggers for a flawless street-to-studio look.
2. Amuse Society Kalea Striped Sleeveless One Piece ($120): Why risk a potential wardrobe malfunction when you’re hanging 10 (you know, the inevitable bikini top gone rogue?) This sporty suit was made for catching waves and nailing that whole beach babe thing, making it essential for every shoreline adventure. Windswept locks and Wayfarers are obligatory.
3. Nike Free TR 5 Flyknit Sneakers ($130): Behind every fit lady is a pair of fresh kicks. These game-changing sneakers are everything when it comes to nailing that summer sweat sesh — they’re lightweight and breathable, and the style factor is so there. If they don’t get you up and moving (even if just to show ‘em off), we don’t know what will.
4. Rebecca Minkoff Edie Top ($148): This mesh top is an athleisure dream and hero piece in disguise. Don’t let the idea of a costume change keep you from crushing that workout — toss this bad boy on over a bright sports bra and streamlined leggings for a getup you can rock while running errands and breakin’ it down in Zumba class.
5. The Upside Vintage Hawaii Marley Tank ($157): Palm prints are basically a neutral when summer rolls around, so adding this palm-tastic topper to your girl-on-the-go lineup just feels like the obvious thing to do. Rock it with mesh biker shorts to get your namaste on, or team it with denim cutoffs and flatforms for a (hard-earned) lazy afternoon in the park.
6. Heroine Sport Studio X Bra ($95): High-intensity workouts and scorching temps have met their match in this sleek sports bra that can be mixed and matched with all your workout staples. Sexy and supportive, it’ll take on dance cardio sessions or barre class like a boss.
7. Vimmia Edge Bike Short ($114): When it’s too hot for leggings but you need a bit of extra coverage, bike shorts are your BFF. This mesh set lets you breathe, whether you’re taking to the trails or crushing a squat challenge.
8. Free People Limber Halter Top ($48): A sports bra stylish enough to rock on the daily? Sign us up! When you’re not busy perfecting your pirouette, this open-back stunner doubles as the finishing touch to a DDG dance floor getup — just add high-waisted culottes, mules and statement drop earrings.
9. Athleta Napali Mesh Sonar Capri ($84): Enter the leggings that will actually get you excited for that early morning sweat sesh. Decked out in palm print and mesh panels, this pair is serious #goals and practically made for conquering circuits, burpees and crunches.
10. Zobha Ebbs Tee ($42): When it comes to activewear, the more cutouts, the better. In peak season, the open back on this breezy tee will keep things airy, even when your workout starts to heat up.
11. Avenue Dee Leaf Fanny Pack ($34): Rockin’ a fanny pack isn’t just a major fashion statement — it’s a practical way to tote the essentials on race day or at the gym. Fill it with all your get-fit must-haves, like hair ties, iPod and post-workout snacks, and proceed to blow the competition away.
12. Zara Terez Sea Shells Performance Leggings ($75): Beach bums, eat your hearts out! Take your surf and sand obsession to the next level with these seashell-studded leggings that’ll make you want to push your workout even further. DO pair them with an airy mesh tank and neon kicks for a throwback look that feels so RN.
13. Forever21 Active Abstract Print Shorts ($16): As a bonafide #OOTD queen, your workout wear should be just as on-point as any of the other pieces taking up residence in your wardrobe, and these abstract shorts are ready to rise to the challenge. Keepin’ you cool in every sense of the word, they’ll be the first thing you reach for when you’re ready to bust a move.
14. PilyQ Utopia Sports Bra ($66): Hi, we’ll take five. This printed sports bra is a winner all around with its standout styling and support. From sunup to sundown, it straight-up slays every single time.
15. Outdoor Voices Asymmetric Tank ($60): Consider this one-shoulder tank the official uniform of the fashion elite — that’s you. The sculptural silhouette puts your everyday bra top to shame, and sends even the most laid-back looks (think: jersey joggers and suede trainers) into overdrive.
16. Adidas Blush Blue Adilette Pool Slide ($30): Every pool bag needs a pair of classic slides, and this striped pair should be first in line. Practice your backstroke, then take these bad boys for a spin at brunch with your crew with a sporty t-shirt dress, oversized shades and sleek backpack in tow.
17. Without Walls Be Seen Cutoff Hoodie Sweatshirt ($98): You worked hard for those guns, so flaunt ’em with a cutoff sweatshirt that has plenty of tricks up its (non-existent) sleeves. Moisture-wicking material with thermal pro technology will keep you cool and dry during an intense round of badminton or beach volleyball.
18. Perfect Moment Nordic Neoprene Swimsuit ($250): Ultimate frisbee, volleyball and paddle boarding — if your seaside stint is more about seizing the day than beach bummin’, you need a swimsuit that can keep up. The fuss-free styling of this sporty one-piece won’t disappoint. Pop it on with metallic shorts and red-hot Tevas for an anything-but-average look that’s ready for whatever you throw its way.
19. Rebecca Minkoff Tippi Bra ($78): We love pieces that can pull a little double duty, and this flouncy bra top has major studio-to-street styling potential. Fabulous fitness getaway on the agenda? Add this neon orange number to your must-pack list stat. Whether you’re killin’ it in booty bootcamp or dancing the night away, you really can’t go wrong.
20. Athleta Tropea Ready Set Short ($49): It’s cardio day, and your workout involves the dreaded burpee. Time to roll out the big guns, AKA bright color and bold prints. Toss on these shorts with a neon tank and metallic kicks, and prepare to nail that gym sesh like the girl boss you are.
21. Sweaty Betty Tournament Tennis Cropped Top ($130): Prim-and-proper garb just isn’t your thing, so why put up a preppy front just because you stepped out on the court? Your game may not be at Serena Williams’s level just yet, but your style? That’s another story entirely. Team this tropical top with a bright tennis skirt for a winning court-side ensemble. Game, set, match.
22. Nike Pro Hypercool Frequency Printed Stretch-Jersey Leggings ($65): Add some pep to your step with these graphic crop leggings that are downright fierce. Designed with body-mapped ventilation built right in, they were made to take on the heat in style.
23. Cushnie et Ochs Venus Bra ($148): With bralettes being a thing and all, there couldn’t be a better time to add a sports bra this chic to your off-duty routine. Wear it alongside belted trousers, a blazer and mules for after-hours drinks with the girls.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.