12 Times Barack and Michelle Obama’s Love Gave Us Major Heart-Eyes Over the Years
It’s hard to believe that we’ve come to the end of Barack Obama’s presidency. In the past few weeks he’s delivered a heart-wrenching farewell speech, shortened Wikileaks source Chelsea Manning’s sentence and been as devoted to and in awe of his wife Michelle as we’ve always known him to be.
View this post on Instagram
"Merry Christmas everybody!...Celebrating the holidays in the White House over these past eight years has been a true privilege. We’ve been able to welcome over half a million guests, our outstanding pastry chefs have baked 200,000 holiday cookies, and Barack has treated the American people to countless dad jokes. Although a few got a Frosty reception." —President Obama and First Lady @MichelleObama in their final holiday message at the White House. Watch the whole thing at the link in the bio, and join them in supporting America’s service members at JoiningForces.gov. 🎄 🎅 #WHHolidays
A post shared by The Obama White House (@obamawhitehouse) on
As America stares down the potential threats of a Trump presidency and hundreds of thousands of people mobilize to march in Washington on the first day he’s in office, let’s reminisce on happier times with a look back at one of the greatest joys Barack’s Presidency brought us — the loving and inspirational relationship between Barack and Michelle.
1. The Inaugural Ball: Beyoncé sings “At Last” while Barack and Michelle dance at the Inaugural Ball on January 20, 2009, the day Barack was sworn in as President, setting the public perception of this pair’s romance for the years to come. No, YOU’RE already crying! (Photo via Win McNamee/Getty)
2. A Little Red Room Romance: Taken within the first few months of his presidency in 2009 and shared as a throwback for their anniversary in October.
3. 4th of July Fireworks: These two always look like they’re still on their honeymoon, like they do here, caught watching the fireworks over the National Mall in 2009. (Photo via Pete Souza/White House/Getty)
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Pete Souza (archived) (@petesouza44) on
4. Quiet Moments: Waiting to be introduced at a 2010 mid-campaign rally.
5. KISS CAM. Michelle and Barack smooch for the camera at a 2012 US Men’s Olympic basketball game while Malia and Joe Biden look on and laugh and we weep from sweetness. (Photo via Pete Souza/Getty)
Four more years. pic.twitter.com/bAJE6Vom
— Barack Obama (@BarackObama) November 7, 2012
6. Four More Years: This says it all.
7. Getting by With a Little Help from His Boo: Michelle helps Barack with his bowtie at the White House state dinner with Chinese President Xi Jinping and his wife. (Photo via Chip Somodevilla/Getty)
8. Reading Kids’ Stories: Michelle and Barack put on a show reading Where the Wild Things Are to young attendees at the 2016 annual White House Easter Egg Hunt. (Photo via Olivier Douliery/Getty)
9. When Michelle Lovingly Impersonates Barack: Some LOL-worthy insight into the Obama family dynamic.
10. Having Some Halloween LOLs. Lookit these two. JUST LOOKIT.
11. Michelle’s Moving Tribute to Her Husband in His Final Weeks As President: “So proud of POTUS and all that we’ve accomplished together,” she wrote on a throwback pic of the family. “What an incredible journey filled with remarkable people. I love you Barack.”
To the girl from the South Side who took on a role she didn't ask for and made it her own: Happy Birthday, Michelle. I love you. pic.twitter.com/lvjfx418hn
— President Obama (@POTUS44) January 17, 2017
12. Barack’s Sweet 53rd Birthday Message to Michelle. With a photo taken on Inauguration Day back in 2009, to boot. Crying.
What’s your favorite Barack and Michelle Obama moment? Let us know over @BritandCo.
(Featured photo via @barackobama)