13 Rooms That Flawlessly Work the Rattan Trend
Rattan has been around for many moons, but this season it’s getting all sorts of stylish updates. No longer reserved for beachy getaways, the material is proving how versatile it can be when it comes to home decor. Its compelling texture makes it a stellar accent for a minimalist aesthetic, while the various weaves let it jump from fun and playful to chic and sophisticated, depending on the vibe you’re after. If you’re in the market for new ways to refresh and revitalize your home for spring, check out the magic-making abilities of rattan below.
View this post on Instagram
It's been a while since I brought any furniture home from the flea market, but I was looking for a rattan shelf AND to replace the college-era dumpster-rescue shelf that was previously in this corner, so buying this piece seemed like a no-brainier. By which I mean to say I only stood in the aisle for like 15 minutes deliberating and snapchatting all my doubts and questions out to the universe. Indecisive shopper here! 🙋🏻 But as you can see I made the right choice in the end. 👍🏻 And PS, don't forget the #howyouhome theme this week is color! My heart eyes are popping over all your fabulous submissions! 😍 #fearlesshome
A post shared by Brittany Kingery (@brittkingery) on
1. Sweet Shelving: Light and breezy tropical colors pair perfectly with this material. Add a rattan accent or two — like a tiny mirror — for instant vacay vibes.
View this post on Instagram
Greenery, rattan and a pile of cushions from @jessi_dreamcatcher_designs home = the perfect interior for a chilled-out Saturday. (Also loving the juju hats on the wall!) 👌 Photography @lynden_foss | Styling @taper_jean_girl @citizens__of__style
A post shared by Real Living Magazine (@reallivingmag) on
2. Textural Treats: What goes better with rattan than texture? Nada. Mix in cozy textiles and unique patterns for a lovely layered look.
3. Natural Complement: Rattan’s natural aesthetic makes it a stellar complement for organic designs. Pair it with plants and earthy neutrals for a comprehensive, cohesive style. (via Apartment Therapy)
4. Bright + Beachy: Prefer to keep things light and white? Add a touch of this material for a light and beachy accent. (via Solebich)
5. Minimalist Lovin’: One of the things that makes rattan so awesome is the fact that it’s decor in and of itself. So if you have a pared-back, minimalist aesthetic, adding functional decor like a light fixture will liven up your look without overcrowding it. (via My Domaine)
6. Kilim Killer: Kilim and rattan are a match made in interior design heaven. Marry the two in your home for a global design that’ll get your creative juices flowing. (via The Style Files)
7. Work the Weave: It works with nearly any style sensibility, depending on how it’s woven. A fine, tight weave transforms it from fun and playful to chic and sophisticated with ease. (via Glitter Guide)
8. Dreamy Decor: Wishing for an unintrusive bed frame that’ll update your look without overwhelming it? Consider your wish granted. (via Ave Styles)
10. Updated Bar Cart: Bar carts needn’t be all metal all the time. Consider showcasing nature’s nectar from atop a rattan cart for an unexpected but uber-cute look. (via Sarah Sherman Samuel)
11. Colorful Cheer: Looking for ways to infuse a little more cheer into your design? Pair bold colors with rattan to brighten up your everyday. (via Honestly WTF)
12. Comfy Cozy: Prefer comfy and cozy to light and breezy? No problem. Layer on some chunky knits and inviting throws for a laid-back design that won’t feel too heavy. (via Honestly WTF)
13. Baby Brightness: A nursery wouldn’t be our first thought for rattan, but we’re sure glad it was someone’s! Add some to your little one’s room for an adorable update to match your adorable nugget. (Glitter Guide)
Want more ways to update your home for spring? Follow us on Pinterest!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)