13 ’50s Halloween Costumes That Aren’t a Poodle Skirt
The 1950s was an era filled to the brim with creative makers and shakers from the greasers to the beatniks to the rockers. The guys and gals of this decade make the perfect inspiration for your Halloween costume this year. No need to ring up your parents or grandparents for inspiration — these 13 unique costume ideas go beyond the typical poodle skirt.
1. Bad Sandy and Good Sandy from Grease Costume: Looking for a costume for you and your twin or sister? Look no further than one of the biggest makeovers of all time. (via Brit + Co)
2. La La Land Costume: Channel the vibes of your favorite retro musical! Once you put on your dancing shoes and get your vocal chords warmed up, you’ll feel right in line with Gosling and Stone. (via Brit + Co)
3. Retro Devil Costume: This isn’t your ordinary devil, it’s a retro devil. A black leather jacket, cat eye sunnies, and a red lip will turn you into this throwback take. (via Brit + Co)
4. Fuzzy Dice Costume: No ’50s ride is complete without some fuzzy mirror dice. Create your own life-sized version with cardboard boxes and a whole ‘lotta pink fur. (via Aww Sam)
5. Cat in the Hat Costume: Dr. Seuss’s ever-popular book The Cat in the Hat was first published in the ’50s. All you’ll need for this look is a black leotard and a toddler to play the mini goldfish buddy. (via Brit + Co)
6. Alvin and the Chipmunks Costume: Quick history lesson: This adorable rodent trio first debuted in 1958 for a novelty record. Since then, they’ve graced us in animated cartoons, films, and now your tween’s trick-or-treating route. (via Brit + Co)
7. Lucille Ball Costume ($35): Everyone’s favorite 1950s redhead is iconic AND nostalgic. Convey her silly, lovable personality this year with a ’50s-inspired dress and a classic updo.
8. Marilyn Monroe Costume: This white dress was made famous by the 1955 film The Seven Year Itch. Rock it for a glam-bam costume this year. (via Brit + Co)
9. Frenchy from Grease Costume: Everyone’s favorite beauty school dropout makes for one awesome Halloween costume. Whatever you do, don’t forget the bubble gum! (via Brit + Co)
10. Andy Warhol Marilyn Monroe Costume: Take Andy Warhol’s famous painting and turn it into a creative couples costume. Ask your plus one to get into character and help you apply the hue-heavy look with face-paint — the more color, the better! (via Brit + Co)
12. Thing 1 and Thing 2 Costume: Here’s another The Cat in the Hat costume that’s couples-approved. Grab your BFF, a red sheet, a blue wig, and you’re good to go! (via Brit + Co)
13. Pink Lady Costume: A high pony, neck scarf, and pink jacket (obvi) equal a Halloween costume in minutes. Grab your friends for a group costume idea. (via Brit + Co)
What ’50s costume idea did we miss? Let us know @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Additional reporting by Cassandra Pisone