Start Saving Your Pennies: These Are the It Bags You’ll Be Coveting Next Year
Just like a killer pair of shoes, an It girl-approved handbag has transformative powers. Whether you team it with closet basics or tuck it under the arm of an Insta-worthy leopard print coat, it has the power to take any outfit from standard to street style-chic in mere seconds. Having already curated the ultimate wardrobe for fall and winter, it’s time to start looking ahead, and that means taking stock of all the jaw-dropping bags that made their debut on the spring/summer ’17 runways. Whether you’re pinching pennies or saving up for the real deal, these are the five handbag trends to keep your eyes peeled for next season.
1. Tiny Tophandle: Nope — it’s not Fendi’s signature pom-pom swag that caught our attention. Though the fashion house sent a slew of enviable bags down the catwalk this season, it’s this understated number that made the biggest impact. The structured silhouette and floral embroidery are what make the pint-size bag the epitome of old-world elegance, while the micro size grounds it firmly in RN territory. (Photo via Tristan Fewings/Getty)
2. iPhone Clutch: Good things do come in small packages — especially when it’s Louis Vuitton. Okay — so it’s not exactly a bag, but you best believe this bold blue iPhone case will be in every It girl’s possession come spring. The only question that remains is, how do we get ours? (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
3. Robot Clutch: Who says paring down has to mean parting ways with style? Not Chanel, that’s for sure. This robot crossbody bag will make even the stuffiest of ensembles feel cutting edge — tweed and skirt suits included. (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
4. Double Trouble: Not quite ready to part ways with your trusty workweek tote? Take style cues from Céline and team yours with a petite pouch that will make your morning commute a total breeze. Load it up with your travel card, lip balm and other on-the-go essentials so you’re ready for anything at a moment’s notice. (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
5. Terrible Twos: Double duty took on new meaning at Valentino’s Spring/Summer ’17 show, with models making their way down the runway with not one, but two über tiny bags slung nonchalantly over their shoulders. While the look is undoubtedly cool, it begs the question — why not just opt for a bigger bag? (Photo via Francois Durand/Getty)
6. Slouchy Sac: The bucket bag is taking an unexpected turn for spring, with slouchy silhouettes reigning supreme. Dolce & Gabbana balanced out the unstructured shape with a don’t-mess chain handle with a total tough-girl appeal. (Photo via Pietro D’Aprano/Getty)
7. Itty Bitty Bucket: Marc Jacobs knows a thing or two about designing buzz-worthy handbags, and this slashed style is proof. If you’re over Mansur Gavriel’s signature bucket, this is where you’ll want to look next. (Photo via Slaven Vlasic/Getty)
8. Shapeless Satchel: This Givenchy sac may call to mind Candy Buttons or boxes of fluorescent Dots, but trust us — this stunner is SO much more than that. Shake up a tired off-duty routine by tossing a candy-colored stunner on with patchwork jeans, a Breton-stripe tee and a colorful cocoon coat. (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
9. Pierced Purse: J.W. Anderson’s Pierce bag has already made waves with bloggers and Instababes everywhere, and we’re willing to bet that this cinched-up style is gearing up to be the next big thing. (Photo via Jeff Spicer/Getty)
10. Quilted Bucket: Watch out, Boy Bags — there’s a new silhouette in town. Pint-sized buckets with Chanel’s signature insignia, quilted styling and chainlink straps made us — and Instagram — do a double take. (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
11. Punchy Patchwork: Can’t get enough of the personalized patch trend? Neither can Marc Jacobs. This saddle bag is the accessory you’ve been waiting for. Combat boots, denim jackets and slip dresses not included, but highly recommended. (Photo via Slaven Vlasic/Getty)
12. Over-the-Top Touches: Sigh… Gucci always gets it right. The proof? The label’s latest collection of wow-worthy bags. Colorful embellishments and pop art-inspired prints are juxtaposed with the iconic double G print for a standout look that’s guaranteed to turn heads. (Photo via Vittorio Zunino Celotto/Getty)
13. Glam Guitar Straps: As if the brand’s mini bags weren’t enough to gush over, Karl Lagerfeld and his crew at Fendi crushed it with a series of backpacks and top-handle satchels decked out in funky florals, studded bows and psychedelic straps. (Photo via Tristan Fewings/Getty)
14. Flower Power: Prada’s Spring/Summer ’17 collection has already garnered a significant amount of attention, thanks in part to its mid-century prints and granny-approved vests, but the bags brought their A-game too. We’re eyeing this sculptural number for after-work drinks or a gallery opening downtown.
15. Prints Charming: Breton stripes, step aside! We’re not sure what we’re diggin’ more — this scene-stealer’s geometric design or the bold black-and-white stripe print with big-time look-at-me appeal. For max perfection, mix-and-match prints are it — the brighter, the better. (Photo via Cindy Ord/Getty)
16. Haute Hardware: This Chloé number is a double whammy, combining over-the-top hardware with a micro mini body, and we can’t stop staring. While not the most practical for your on-the-job routine, we don’t think you’ll have any problem finding an off-the-clock occasion to bust it out. (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
17. Chic Cord: With a cool corded handle like this, you’ll never look at handles the same way again. Show off the standout detail by treating a top handle bag like a clutch a la Louis Vuitton. (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
18. Ring of Fire: Givenchy struck gold again with a circular tortoiseshell handle that lent sophisticated appeal to a slouchy suede sac. The only thing missing from this winning combo? A glittering brooch that brings the glam factor. (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
19. Haute and Huge: We can totally see the likes of Pernille Teisbaek rockin’ this OMG-worthy Céline stunner. Minimalist though it might be in design, its size is anything but understated. Let’s just say it boasts plenty of room for your workweek bag swag. (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
20. Oversized and OTT: The house of Sonia Rykiel breathed new life into their signature stripes, styling them alongside a flowery black-and-white print and an OTT tote bag. Be it a weekend escape or a long day at the office, this bold bag will always do you right. (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
21. Massive and Minimalist: As far as accessories go, Marni is king. Though slightly more utilitarian than what we’re used to from the Italian label, we have to admit that this pared-down sac has some serious everyday potential. (Photo via Vittorio Zunino Celotto/Getty)
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!