30 Home Decor Items You Need Before You’re 30
When making the transition from dorm decor to an adult abode, you ought to have a grown-up aesthetic to go with it. But figuring out what you need when you’ve been living off of ramen and solo cups can be quite the struggle. Rather than guess your way to sophisticated style, let our decor finds be your guiding light. From bookshelves to bar carts, these home style solutions are everything you need to take adulthood by storm.
1. A Well-Stocked Bar Cart: You’re not a college drinker anymore. No, no. Now you’re a sophisticated adult(!), and there’s nothing like a beautiful bar cart to show just how good at being a grown up you’ve become. (via Gingersnaps)
2. Organized Bookshelves: A carefully curated bookshelf is an understated decor essential that can round out a room gorgeously. Plus, everyone will know how well-read and knowledgeable you are, without you having to say a word. (via The Fashion Eaters)
3. Candles: Candles are an easy accessory you can mix, match and change up on a whim. And in addition to looking and smelling nice, they’re awesome vibe-makers for a night in. Pick up this Paddywax Small Concrete Candle ($14) to really take your decor to the next level.
4. A Carafe: Otherwise known as a fancy pitcher, a carafe looks great in all its practical utility. Impress your friends with your grown-up hosting skills by busting out one of these at your next dinner party. (via Tasty Yummies)
5. Champagne Glasses: Every celebration is better with Champagne. So step up your celebration game with a matching set of Champagne glasses and toast to adulthood! You earned it. (via Brit + Co)
6. Coasters: The last thing you want to do is mess up your furniture with all that celebrating. Protect your tables in style with a nice set of matching coasters. (via Brit + Co)
7. A Beautifully Styled Coffee Table: The coffee table is the centerpiece of most living rooms, so you want yours to shine. Style it with books and fresh flowers to create a sophisticated yet homey vibe.
8. Stylish Curtains: If you’ve been staring at the blinds that came with your apartment, it’s time for a change. This gorgeous set of Anthropologie Keila Curtains ($68+) will lighten up your space while punctuating your aesthetic.
9. Dining Area: You don’t need to give up meals in front of Netflix, but you can still pretend you do. A separate dining area, even if your space is small, will give your place a more layered, well-rounded look. (via Becki Owens)
10. A Statement Chair: If you plan on having anyone over at any point for any reason, extra seating is a must. The Urban Outfitters Andy Shaggy Chair ($498) is just what you need to leave your cramped dorm days behind you. Now your guests’ can luxuriate on some comfortable seats.
11. Fresh Flowers: Fresh flowers are among the easiest and best decor accents out there. Just make sure you have a proper vase to display your bouquet the way it deserves. (via 100 Layer Cake-let)
12. YA Curated Gallery Wall: Put your favorite prints, posters and photos in frames for a polished appearance with a ton of design possibilities. A gallery wall is a wonderful way to spice up a blank space. (via Brika)
13. Headboard: Few pleasures rival curling up after a long day in a beautiful bed. Take your mattress off the floor and cop a stylish headboard like the grown up that you are. (via Lindsay Marcella)
14. Jewelry Storage: Ever wanted to pull your hair out after trying to detangle a ball of necklaces? Put those troubles behind you for good with an equally stylish and practical jewelry organizer. Pick up this Urban Outfitters Sawyer Marble Jewelry Stand ($39) to start that organized life.
15. Area Rug: Now that you’re older, you know how to keep things nice… right? That means it’s time to invest in an area rug. Take off your shoes and step onto the next chapter of your life. (via Domino)
16. DIY Storage Jars: Putting essential food items in canisters is a small chore that makes a big difference. The more designated places you have to put things, the less chaos you’ll have in your space (and your brain). (via The Lovely Drawer)
17. Light Fixtures: Get rid of the decades-old light fixture that came with your apartment and replace it with a dazzling fixture or modern chandelier. The transformative powers a nice pendant light brings are very, very real. (via Apartment Therapy)
18. Statement Mirrors: Copping a nice wall mirror or two will make any room look larger while adding depth to your design. The Urban Outfitters Avery Circle Mirror ($19+) is a simple and easy way to dress up a wall that could use a little more lovin’.
19. DIY Modern Planter Upgrades: It’s time, friends. It’s time to breathe new life into your space with indoor plants. You won’t kill them this time because you’re an adult now, remember? You got this. (via In Honor of Design)
20. A Nice Set of Sheets: Quality linen sheets are one of life’s little luxuries. Don’t deprive yourself of it by hanging onto the cheap stuff you used in college. Check out the Linen Tales USA Ashes of Roses Linen Bed Set ($225) and get ready for the best (and prettiest) sleep of your life.
21. A Non-IKEA Couch: Futon, be gone! An investment in a quality comfortable couch is an investment in your future. Case in point? This Urban Outfitters Spencer Microfiber Sofa ($1,098).
22. A Legit Shower Curtain: If you’re still workin’ with an old plastic curtain, change it up. This Intelligent Design Nadia Shower Curtain ($66) will help you get fresh in style.
23. A Real Soap Dispenser: A soap dispenser is an effortless, economical decor touch that can improve the look of your bathroom exponentially. In other words, go get you one. This Urban Outfitters Lily Soap Dispenser ($24) is a good place to start.
24. Statement Art: A nice piece of statement art is the gift that keeps on giving. Leave the generic prints and posters behind with your college self and indulge in something a little more fancy, like this Kimberley Dhollander Dreamy Houses Print ($19-$399).
25. DIY Rope Basket: Adequate storage is the unsung hero of a sophisticated abode. Storage baskets come in a wide range of clever designs and make cleaning up and decluttering a cinch. (via iheartorganizing)
26. Storage Boxes: Storage baskets are great for blankets and throws, and storage boxes are great for everything else. Clean up chaos in any corner with a pretty Kate Spade Storage Box Set ($54).
27. Matching Plate Set: As you get older, more and more blow-out bashes become sit-down dinner parties. And a dinner party without matching dishes is like a frat party without solo cups. This Macy’s Le Creuset ($330, 16-piece set) set is serious #entertaining goals.
28. Quality Throw Blankets: A nice throw blanket offers cozy comfort at the same time as it provides aesthetic warmth. And with so many different textures, styles and colors to choose from, there’s a perfect one — like this Urban Outfitters Faux Lamb Throw Blanket ($179) — waiting to call your place home, no matter your style sensibility.
29. Throw Pillows: If you’re going to invest in a quality couch and a quality blanket, you need to have quality throws to go with ’em. It’s the rule. (via The Everygirl)
30. Pretty Towels: Drying your hair with an old beach towel? Have a hodge-podge of different towels of unknown origin? Pitch ’em and put a nice clean set of matching towels in their place. It’s the mature thing to do. Check out the Anthropologie Drye Hunee Towel ($78) to get started.
Looking for more ways to step up your adult game? Follow us on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.