6 Dorm Room Decor Themes That Get an A+
Your dorm room might be temporary, but that doesn’t mean you can’t give it a little TLC. You finally get the chance to decorate your own space, so you want it to reflect your personality, even if you’re only there for a few months. In order to make your dorm room as dreamy as the rules and regulations will allow, here are six stylish decor themes to help inspire you. Whether you’re a boho-chic babe or more of a minimalist maven, these dorm room decor and DIY ideas will create the ultimate space for studying, sleepovers and everything in between.
TROPICAL DORM ROOM
1. Linen House Dominica Duvet Cover Set ($180): Feeling a little down that your summer vacay is over? Invest in a tropical-themed duvet and bring those holiday vibes to school with you.
2. DIY Flamingo Marquee Light: Dorm rooms are infamous for bad, fluorescent lighting. Bring a warm glow to your room and add a touch of personality at the same time with a large lit-up flamingo. This easy DIY tutorial will show ya how. (via Brit + Co)
TRAVEL-INSPIRED DORM ROOM
3. Adairs Coco Quilt Cover Set (prices vary): Whether you backpacked Europe or spent the summer camping, it can be hard to come back to a 10×10-foot bedroom. Surround yourself with a colorful bedspread to make your gypsy soul feel right at home.
4. DIY Photo Display: If you spent your summer traveling the world, it’s time to show off those epic snaps. Get your favorite travel photos off your phone and onto your wall with this stylish DIY photo display. (via Brit + Co)
BOHO-CHIC DORM ROOM
5. Macrame Headboard: Wow, this dorm room has a really great wall color! Said no one ever. Cover up ugly brick and cracked walls with a ceiling-to-wall macrame headboard. You could even DIY one with your new roomie as you bond over campus gossip. (via Vintage Revivals)
7. Hanging Chair: Skip the beanbags; they take up way too much valuable floor space anyways. If you can hang a chair or a hammock, you’ll have the coolest reading nook in the entire dormitory. (via Teresa Barton)
MODERN DORM ROOM
8. DIY Statement Wall: Just one piece of sea-inspired art makes this bedroom feel beachy, but in a way that won’t feel out of place in a dorm room. Even though you can’t paint your walls, temporary wallpaper is an awesome solution for creating a statement piece that comes down instantly. (via Brit + Co)
9. Urban Outfitters Wire Wall Grid ($59): This anything-but-basic wire grid is just what you need to keep your dorm walls nail-free. Use it to hang everything from your favorite photos to art projects and homework assignments… all without putting a single hole in the wall. Your parents will thank you.
MINIMALIST DORM ROOM
10. Iveta Abolina for DENY Alaskan Gelato II Duvet Cover ($129+): A light, neutral look is essential for getting a good night’s sleep, especially when exam-week madness hits. Adding an indoor plant is a nice way to bring life into a cramped space. Plus, it will help purify your air and maybe help with that musty dorm room smell.
11. DIY Box Storage: There will never be enough storage in your dorm room, so think outside the closet and DIY your own. Store your stuff and add some flair at the same time. Fill up empty boxes with your statement pieces so you can just grab and go when you need ’em. (via I Spy DIY)
12. DIY Chalkboard Wall Calendar: Between classes, social events and the odd sporting event, college requires a hefty calendar. Make a statement wall in your small quarters with this DIY wall calendar and you’ll never miss another appointment. (via I Spy DIY)
PREPPY DORM ROOM
13. Dormify Great Vibes Only: The easiest and fastest way to customize a dorm room futon or bed: pillows galore! Preppy black and white bedding is fresh and modern, but won’t clash with your roommate’s choice of decor. (via Dormify)
14. PBteen Customize-It Super Storage Pedestal Desk ($199+): A desk with a lot of storage is a definite must for any dorm room. If you still need more space, decorate a few more file boxes to take your dorm from drab to fab.
Which is your favorite dorm room theme? If you’re starting to put together a decor plan, make sure you follow us on Pinterest for even more inspo and easy DIY ideas.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.