10 Fitness Vacations That Won’t Break the Bank
Vacation is a time to relax, recharge and indulge. For some people, that may mean indulging in a wellness vacation, whether it be mental or physical. Want to learn how to surf, spend a week hiking with new friends or just detach from the technology in everyday life? There’s a fitness vacation for that. When many people think of fitness vacations, they think of expensive excursions or pricey spas, but that doesn’t have to be the case. Keep reading to see where you can get away from it all without breaking the bank.
1. Venetian Spa, Las Vegas, NV ($40/day): Yes, you can have a healthy vacation in Vegas! An affordable one-day spa pass at this famous hotel will cover use of the fitness center, fitness classes (from BOSU core conditioning to kickboxing), along with access to the 40-foot rock wall.
2. The Standard Miami, Miami, FL (activities start at $35): Looking for a more indulgent fitness getaway? You can hit up a stand-up paddle boarding class, yoga and even participate in fire walking, all while getting some of the best spa treatments and eating the best food in Florida. You might need to *stay* somewhere nearby to make this fit your budget, but getting the Standard perks without the turndown service isn’t half bad.
3. Sivananda Bahamas, Paradise Island, Bahamas ($98/night): Are you looking for a yoga retreat for less than $100 a night? This resort offers teacher training, intensive yoga programs and more, plus it’s only a short flight from the East Coast. (Photo via @sivanandabahamas)
4. Pura Vida Retreat and Spa, Alajuela, Costa Rica ($115+/night): Pura Vida Spa and Resort in Costa Rica is widely known as one of the best yoga retreats in the world. Get certified with yoga teacher training, detox and take some surfing class while you’re there.
5. New Life Hiking Spa, Kilington, VT ($120+/night): Whether your goal is to get outside and hike, get back on track physically or de-stress mentally, this retreat in Green Mountains may be for you. You’ll come back feeling one with nature.
6. Hotel La Jolla, San Diego, CA ($260/night): This spot was made for city lovers who still want to stay active. At this outpost of a Kimpton Hotel, you can rent designer PUBLIC bikes, try SUP and go kayaking on the Pacific.
7. Jackie’s on the Reef, Negril, Jamaica ($150/night): Here’s an eco-friendly resort that will have you feeling refreshed in no time. Try yoga, meditation or tai chi in between spa treatments and healthy, fresh meals.
8. Chicabrava Surf Camp, San Juan Del Sur, Nicaragua ($1290+/week): All you aspiring surfers: Head to beautiful San Juan Del Sur, Costa Rica to find Chicabrava Surf Camp, an all girls’ week-long intensive surf program. The price includes lodging, some meals and two hours of instruction per day. It’s time to make those Blue Crush dreams a reality!
9. Canyon Ranch, Lenox, MA + Sedona, AZ (from $1500/week): Canyon Ranch is frequented by celebrities and fitness junkies alike. Spend your days hiking, eating balanced meals and getting massages or facials, all of which are included in your vacation package.
10. Lake Austin Spa Resort, Austin, Texas ($1,700/week): Looking for slightly more low-key water activities that don’t require a passport? Head to this urban retreat during one of their QUENCH weekends, where you can experience more than 25 water-themed activities in a seven-day program. This health and wellness retreat may be a little pricer than the rest, but everything from food to spa treatments is included.
Have you ever been on a wellness retreat? How do you stay active on vacation?
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.