Vacation is a time to relax, recharge and indulge. For some people, that may mean indulging in a wellness vacation, whether it be mental or physical. Want to learn how to surf , spend a week hiking with new friends or just detach from the technology in everyday life? There’s a fitness vacation for that. When many people think of fitness vacations, they think of expensive excursions or pricey spas , but that doesn’t have to be the case. Keep reading to see where you can get away from it all without breaking the bank.
1. Venetian Spa , Las Vegas, NV ($40/day): Yes, you can have a healthy vacation in Vegas! An affordable one-day spa pass at this famous hotel will cover use of the fitness center, fitness classes (from BOSU core conditioning to kickboxing), along with access to the 40-foot rock wall.
2. The Standard Miami , Miami, FL (activities start at $35): Looking for a more indulgent fitness getaway? You can hit up a stand-up paddle boarding class, yoga and even participate in fire walking, all while getting some of the best spa treatments and eating the best food in Florida. You might need to *stay* somewhere nearby to make this fit your budget, but getting the Standard perks without the turndown service isn’t half bad.
3. Sivananda Bahamas , Paradise Island, Bahamas ($98/night): Are you looking for a yoga retreat for less than $100 a night? This resort offers teacher training, intensive yoga programs and more, plus it’s only a short flight from the East Coast. (Photo via @sivanandabahamas )
4. Pura Vida Retreat and Spa , Alajuela, Costa Rica ($115+/night): Pura Vida Spa and Resort in Costa Rica is widely known as one of the best yoga retreats in the world. Get certified with yoga teacher training, detox and take some surfing class while you’re there.
5. New Life Hiking Spa , Kilington, VT ($120+/night): Whether your goal is to get outside and hike, get back on track physically or de-stress mentally, this retreat in Green Mountains may be for you. You’ll come back feeling one with nature.
6. Hotel La Jolla , San Diego, CA ($260/night): This spot was made for city lovers who still want to stay active. At this outpost of a Kimpton Hotel, you can rent designer PUBLIC bikes, try SUP and go kayaking on the Pacific.
7. Jackie’s on the Reef , Negril, Jamaica ($150/night): Here’s an eco-friendly resort that will have you feeling refreshed in no time. Try yoga, meditation or tai chi in between spa treatments and healthy, fresh meals.
8. Chicabrava Surf Camp , San Juan Del Sur, Nicaragua ($1290+/week): All you aspiring surfers: Head to beautiful San Juan Del Sur, Costa Rica to find Chicabrava Surf Camp, an all girls’ week-long intensive surf program. The price includes lodging, some meals and two hours of instruction per day. It’s time to make those Blue Crush dreams a reality!
9. Canyon Ranch , Lenox, MA + Sedona, AZ (from $1500/week): Canyon Ranch is frequented by celebrities and fitness junkies alike. Spend your days hiking, eating balanced meals and getting massages or facials, all of which are included in your vacation package.
10. Lake Austin Spa Resort , Austin, Texas ($1,700/week): Looking for slightly more low-key water activities that don’t require a passport? Head to this urban retreat during one of their QUENCH weekends, where you can experience more than 25 water-themed activities in a seven-day program. This health and wellness retreat may be a little pricer than the rest, but everything from food to spa treatments is included.
Have you ever been on a wellness retreat? How do you stay active on vacation?