17 Agua Fresca Recipes for Your Next BBQ
No barbecue is complete without a cooler full of icy bevs nearby. But instead of filling said cooler with sodas and wine spritzers, why not switch it up and include some light, refreshing aguas frescas in the mix? These healthy fruit waters add serious flavor that all ages can enjoy, and will complement all your favorite summer barbecue party foods. Mix up a pitcher of your favorite fruit blend (strawberry and watermelon, kiwi and kumquat — the sky’s the limit), and spike with your favorite spirit for a fun summer cocktail. Scroll on for 17 agua fresca recipes to inspire your next outdoor shindig.
1. Mango Pineapple Agua Fresca: Take a trip to the tropics without leaving your backyard by sipping on this classic blend of pineapple and mango. This recipe only uses half a pineapple, so save the rest for grilling and make your burger Hawaiian style. (via Will Frolic for Food)
2. Cantaloupe and Kiwi Agua Fresca: Who would have ever thought of turning cantaloupe and kiwi into a beverage? This recipe uses both a blender and a juicer, but you could def get away with just throwing everything into the Vitamix. Be sure to strain out the seeds before you serve and save a few kiwi slices for an adorable garnish. (via Foodness Gracious)
3. Champagne Mango Lime Agua Fresca: You had us at Champagne. Wait, what? These are “Champagne mangoes?” Well, we won’t tell if you add a splash of bubbly to this bright mango-lime fresca. And don’t worry — any fresh mangoes will make this delish. (via Boulder Locavore)
4. Watermelon Agua Fresca: Watermelon must be one of the most refreshing fruits around, amirite? So it’s an obvious win for agua fresca. In classic fresca form, lime juice is added for a pop of sour, and the addition of mint brings it all together. If you’re adulting it up, vodka’s the way to go. (via Happiness Is Homemade)
5. Grapefruit Kombucha Agua Fresca: Okay, maybe kombucha isn’t for everyone, but it will definitely add an extra-healthy kick to your drink. Grapefruit, maple syrup and rosemary help cut the kombucha punch. (via Will Frolic for Food)
6. Agua de Piña: Pineapple agua fresca is a true classic. Use a whole pineapple and make a pitcher, but be sure to dilute with enough water to cut the sweetness and acidity. Top it off with a splash of coconut rum for an added boozy treat. (via Food Apparel)
7. Blueberry Agua Fresca: Blueberries are slow-carb powerhouses, making them a smart addition to your daily routine. Skip the smoothie and blend them up with water, honey and mint for a low-cal revitalizer packing major antioxidants. (via Diethood)
8. Strawberry Prickly Pear Agua Fresca: If prickly pears have popped up in your produce section, you might be trying to figure out just what to do with them! Blend them up with some frozen berries and lime juice for an addictive sweet-tart concoction with a cheery pink hue. (via Thyme and Love)
9. Strawberry Mango Agua Fresca: Bright strawberries, sweet mangoes, tart lime and fresh mint come together in this Vitaminwater-enriched twist. Pro Tip: Freeze the Vitaminwater with bits of fruit and mint to intensify the flavor — or freeze it all and make a sorbet! (via Dinner at the Zoo)
10. Cucumber Lime Mint Agua Fresca: Cucumber water isn’t just for the salon. One-up your favorite spa with this vibrant green juice that gets its color (and a boost of fiber) from cucumber skins and fresh mint. (via Simply Recipes)
11. Summer Refresher Infused Water Agua Fresca: Ah, the simplest form of agua fresca — chopped fruits in a big pitcher of water is a beautiful party addition, especially when temperatures are soaring. Use your fave fresh fruits and swap out tap for sparkling water. Now you fancy! (via Lana’s Cooking)
12. Peach Agua Fresca: For a unique take on frescas, try peach! Jalapeños and agave give this summer stone fruit a zesty Mexican kick that would taste great with a bit of tequila. (via Little Spice Jar)
13. Hibiscus Lime Cooler: Agua de Jamaica (hibiscus water) is a classic Mexican cooler. What makes this one unique is the addition of nutrient-rich coconut water. Not only is it super hydrating, but it also aids in digestion and fights hangovers, making this the perfect party beverage. If you can’t find dried hibiscus flowers, try using tea bags. (via The Work Top)
14. Berry Rosehip Chia Agua Fresca: Rosehip tea blends with frozen mixed berries for an infusion of vitamin C and antioxidants. Add chia seeds for an extra blast of omega-3s, fiber and hydration. Did you know chia seeds can hold ten times their weight in water? Ch-ch-ch-chia! (via Gourmande in the Kitchen)
15. Papaya Agua Fresca: Just look at that color. Papaya has a complex sweetness that can stand on its own, but if you find it overpowering, you can blend it with mango and lime to balance the taste. A touch of honey keeps this sweet, and rosemary adds a sophisticated herbal lift. (via Happy & Harried)
16. Strawberry Agua Fresca With Blackberries: When berries get cheap, it means they’re the ripest, so buy them in bulk. When you’re done with your parfaits and pies, blend up a bunch with some chilled water and a hint of honey for a sweet summer sipper. (via Foodness Gracious)
17. Strawberry Watermelon Agua Fresca Popsicles: When the barbecue’s getting hot and a cool beverage just won’t do, grab a fruity popsicle to chill you out. Taking a cue from some classic fresca recipes, this pop combines juicy watermelon with sweet strawberries and tangy lime. We can’t imagine anything more refreshing. (via Bitz & Giggles)
Follow us on Pinterest for more summer recipe ideas!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)