They say the first year is the hardest, so if you’re getting ready to celebrate 12 months of wedded bliss, you should have something more exciting to look forward to than old, cold wedding cake! The best anniversary gifts are ones that are shared between the two of you, as it is, after all, a celebration of your relationship. Take some time to start a new tradition, reconnect with each other, try a fun activity or pop some champagne! If the idea of year-old wedding cake or a stationery set just isn’t kindling your flame, try these 15 creative ideas to celebrate your big milestone.
1. Romantic Getaway: Take a second honeymoon and return to your original getaway or pick a new romantic destination. There is nothing more relaxing and fun than spending some quality time together de-stressing in a beautiful location. (via Deviant Art)
2. A Relaxing Night In: Sometimes when life gets crazy, nothing can beat the luxury of a night in, just the two of you. Order in pizza, pop some champagne and sit back to relax and watch your wedding video. (Essentially, throw a sleepover!). (via Style Me Pretty)
3. Renew Vows: You could do this with an official or just do it privately between each other. Read your original wedding vows or write up new ones with things you may have learned over the past twelve months. (via Green Wedding Shoes)
4. Recreate Your Wedding Menu: Whether you’re master chefs or not, try making some of your favorite foods from your wedding reception. When it’s just the two of you in the kitchen, you will be bound to make some messes and share a lot of laughter while reminiscing about the original meal. (via Green Wedding Shoes)
5. Plan a Party: For the social couple that loves to entertain, honor the milestone event by throwing a first anniversary party. Include touches from the big day, like a mini version of the wedding cake or similar flower arrangements. This could also be a great option if you didn’t get to have a reception or eloped. (via Green Wedding Shoes)
6. Relive Your First Date: Take things all the way back to where the magic first started by going back to where you went on your first date. Since first dates are usually on the less expensive side of things, this could be a great option for the frugal couple. (via Green Wedding Shoes)
7. Do Something Adventurous: You just survived one year of marriage; why not go all out and do something new that you’ve both been wanting to try? Think hot air balloon ride, taking a cooking class or going to a museum. Try something out of the ordinary and learn something new about each other. (via Green Wedding Shoes)
8. Go Traditional ($95): Did you know that the official one-year gift is paper? That may sound boring, but think along the lines of tickets to your boo’s favorite sports team or band, a sentimental art print or a fun journal for two.
9. Get Sentimental: Thanks to the digital age, we hardly ever see the pictures we take anymore outside our phones. Why not make a photo book of all your favorite memories over the past year? Check out Printstagram to make some adorable books, posters and stickers of your best Instagram moments together. (via Printstagram)
10. Cute and Couple-y ($54): His and hers items make the cutest anniversary presents. We love the idea of quirky pillows like these, or even some monogrammed mugs.
11. Take Photos: Celebrate with beautiful pictures of the two of you. You could have fun taking selfies with each other or hire a professional for a fun hour of being the star attraction again. (via Andria Lindquist)
12. Get Physical: Is there an outdoor activity that you guys both enjoy, but struggle to make time for? Why not make a day of it and go rock climbing, kayaking, camping or just use it as an excuse to get lost in the woods and engage in a super hot makeout sesh ;) (via Green Wedding Shoes)
13. Fulfill the Bucket List: This one might take a bit of planning, but doing things you’ve always wanted to do together helps further anchor your relationship and commitment to each other. If you can’t get away, you can still pretend you’re traveling abroad by eating at an unusual restaurant, seeing a foreign film or wandering some new streets in your own town. (via YK Vision)
14. Treat Yourself: Marriage is hard work, so treat yourselves to a day at the spa with massages and long soaks in the hot tub. Even if you don’t want to spend the money for a professional massage, you can give each other the special treatment at home with candles and massage oils. (via Spa Finder)
15. Pop the Bubbly: No celebration is truly complete without a drink. You can keep it simple, as long as you’re taking a little bit of time away from your busy day to celebrate your life together. After all, that is what anniversaries are all about. (via The Knot)
Are you inspired by these anniversary ideas? How do you like to celebrate your relationship? Let us know in the comments below or on Facebook.