There are certain baby board books that you will either buy or be gifted that are basically required reading for the under-one set (and books make GREAT baby shower gifts). Goodnight Moon, I Am Bunny, Pat the Bunny (basically anything with a bunny on it) are found in nurseries across the land. But how about if you want to get or give a title that isn’t one of the standard-issue picks? Thankfully, there are oodles of awesome (and inspired) options out there. We have 10 super cool board books that should have a proud place right between Baby Beluga and Guess How Much I Love You.
2. Pop Art Baby My First Words With Keith Haring ($11): Babies love bright and vibrant colors, and this collection of kid-friendly Keith Haring art will catch their attention. Plus, it may instill a love of pop art that will make those trips to art museums in the future way more fulfilling for all.
3. Little Owl’s Night by Divya Srinivasan ($5): Bring some sweet style to bedtime story-time with this modern take on the board book. If your baby enjoys this owl’s nighttime adventure, they might like Divya Srinivasan’s other offerings. But this title is particularly fitting for carrying them off to Sleepyville.
4. Star Wars Epic Yarns by Jack and Holman Wang ($7): Star Wars for babies? Yes, please. Uber-creative bros Jack and Holman Wang put together stunning felted figures of iconic Star Wars characters in their series of carefully crafted board books. And we all know — you can’t go wrong with Star Wars.
5. Hello Ninja by N. D. Wilson and Forrest Dickison ($6): For the littlest Ninja in the house, there’s Hello Ninja, an action-packed board book with a focus on fun fo’ sho.
6. So Many Stars by Andy Warhol ($9): Andy Warhol’s whimsical illustrations are perfect for wee ones. We love how simple each page is with bold colors and strong lines… and it’s Andy fricken Warhol. It’s a baby book WIN. Pair this one with the Keith Haring book and you have a future art historian on your hands.
7. Pride & Prejudice: A BabyLit Counting Primer By Alison Oliver and Jennifer Adams ($7): You can’t go wrong with the incredibly hip BabyLit book series. They take on classics from Pride and Prejudice to Treasure Island to Anna Karenina. But be warned, you won’t be able to stop at just one; you’ll need to get them all for your baby’s library.
8. Your Baby’s First Word Will Be DADA by Jimmy Fallon and Miguel Ordóñez ($6): Jimmy Fallon (yes, THAT Jimmy Fallon) apparently wants to ensure that your baby’s first word will be Dada rather than Mama. If you back this, then this is the book for you!
9. Alphablock by Christopher Franceschelli ($11): Introduce the alphabet to your little ones with this epic baby book. This ode to letters is interactive and filled with modern and colorful illustrations. This one is totes gift worthy.
10. A Book of Sleep by Il Sung Na ($6): You can’t help but love a book that inspires sleep. The soothing text and gorgeous illustrations in the Book of Sleep will help your little one fall swiftly asleep (and maybe you too).
What’s your fave board book? Tweet us and let us know @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.