5 Best Apps of the Week: Find Out Where the Party’s at + More!
There are a couple of things we know you look forward to every Saturday + Sunday: sleeping in, weekend-long Netflix binges and, of course, reading our roundup of the best apps of the week. This week’s selection contains an app that will help you FINALLY get your finances in order, one that will make you an expert in art history and more. Take a look below at this week’s top five choices and get DLing. Happy Saturday!
1. Albert: We could all use a little help with our finances. Albert is a brand-new app that works on the premise that finance shouldn’t be filled with jargon and mind-bending philosophies. (FINALLY!) The app makes real-life recommendations like “Pay off your credit card” or “Get insurance” and tells you exactly how to do so. It will make getting a loan, setting a budget or setting yourself up for retirement super easy.
2. Magnus: This app markets itself as the “Shazam for art.” It’s a premise so great that it’s hard to believe that we are JUST getting this ability. You point your phone at a piece of art you really like and the app will tell you everything you need to know about the piece: The artist, the medium, size and — if you’re in the market — price. The app will even recommend nearby galleries and museums to check out similar works. It only works in New York, London and Berlin for now.
3. Larynx: Right up the alley of anyone who loves sending voice messages, Larynx lets users send internet content with their voice. So, say you find an adorable cat pic or a hilarious meme, you can send it straight to your buds with a recording of your voice or maybe even your laughter. It’s a fun new way to personalize how you share what you find.
4. Banter!: Few nightlife experiences are worse than an overcrowded bar, except maybe a completely empty bar when you’re in the mood to party. Banter! is an app that lets users see what’s happening in bars around them to know exactly who is partying where. You can add your friends or favorite spots to your newsfeed to see what’s going on tonight and never worry about FOMO ever again.
5. Hyperkey: As we all know, texting is no longer just for text. No 21st century conversation is truly complete without at least one gif or emoji. But controlling all the multimedia that goes into your texting can get cumbersome. Which is why we’re thankful for Hyperkey. The new app puts gifs, emoji, stickers, sounds and sketchpad all within one keyboard on your phone, making it so much easier and faster to add some quirk to your convo.
What was your favorite app of the week? Let us know @BritandCo!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.