5 Best Apps of the Week: Find Out Where the Party’s at + More!
There are a couple of things we know you look forward to every Saturday + Sunday: sleeping in, weekend-long Netflix binges and, of course, reading our roundup of the best apps of the week. This week’s selection contains an app that will help you FINALLY get your finances in order, one that will make you an expert in art history and more. Take a look below at this week’s top five choices and get DLing. Happy Saturday!
1. Albert: We could all use a little help with our finances. Albert is a brand-new app that works on the premise that finance shouldn’t be filled with jargon and mind-bending philosophies. (FINALLY!) The app makes real-life recommendations like “Pay off your credit card” or “Get insurance” and tells you exactly how to do so. It will make getting a loan, setting a budget or setting yourself up for retirement super easy.
2. Magnus: This app markets itself as the “Shazam for art.” It’s a premise so great that it’s hard to believe that we are JUST getting this ability. You point your phone at a piece of art you really like and the app will tell you everything you need to know about the piece: The artist, the medium, size and — if you’re in the market — price. The app will even recommend nearby galleries and museums to check out similar works. It only works in New York, London and Berlin for now.
3. Larynx: Right up the alley of anyone who loves sending voice messages, Larynx lets users send internet content with their voice. So, say you find an adorable cat pic or a hilarious meme, you can send it straight to your buds with a recording of your voice or maybe even your laughter. It’s a fun new way to personalize how you share what you find.
4. Banter!: Few nightlife experiences are worse than an overcrowded bar, except maybe a completely empty bar when you’re in the mood to party. Banter! is an app that lets users see what’s happening in bars around them to know exactly who is partying where. You can add your friends or favorite spots to your newsfeed to see what’s going on tonight and never worry about FOMO ever again.
5. Hyperkey: As we all know, texting is no longer just for text. No 21st century conversation is truly complete without at least one gif or emoji. But controlling all the multimedia that goes into your texting can get cumbersome. Which is why we’re thankful for Hyperkey. The new app puts gifs, emoji, stickers, sounds and sketchpad all within one keyboard on your phone, making it so much easier and faster to add some quirk to your convo.
What was your favorite app of the week? Let us know @BritandCo!
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.