The 5 Best Places to Travel in May
Spring break time is coming to an end, which makes May the *perfect* month to vacation away from the crowds. Whether you’ve been eyeing some overseas travel or simply want to explore a new domestic spot, the below five places are worth jetting off to. Offering everything from a famed international film festival to a global surf gathering and more, they’ll be just the thing to cure your travel bug before summer plans set in. Scroll below to scope ’em out.
1. Cannes, France: With a city motto like “life is a festival,” you better believe this destination is tons of fun. Its notorious 11-day film festival kicks off the month, followed by one of the most famed regattas in nearby Monte Carlo. While these two events promise to draw major excitement, there’s something here for low-key travelers too. One can sneak away to explore the gorgeous mile-long promenade, La Croisette, passing pretty boutiques and palace-like hotels along the way. This is where you’ll find The Carlton Cannes, a luxury hotel fit for royalty. If you’re looking to wine and dine in true Meghan and Harry style, be sure to book your trip early to guarantee a stay during this action-packed time of year.
2. San Francisco, California: Unbeknownst to most, this free-spirited West Coast city experiences some of its best weather during this time of year. While sunny skies and comfortable temps are a highlight, so is the annual Bay to Breakers race held during this month. Here, thousands of SF residents race across the city in festive costumes toward the bay. The parade of quirky group outfits and multi-colored ensembles is entertaining for anyone lucky enough to snag a spot on Fell Street. Once the chaos of the run dies down, a visit to taste some authentic California cuisine at Che Fico is a must. Another great alternative? A relaxing stroll under the gorgeous China Town lantern lights to cap off the night.
3. Stockholm, Sweden: Spring is just hitting this Nordic country, and for them, it’s a v. big deal. This country experiences up to 18 hours of sunshine (yes, really!), which means you’ll have ample time to take in all the iconic offerings. Things like the gorgeous Swedish countryside at Djurgården, the plethora of cultural charm in Old Town, and the world’s first open-air museum are not to be missed. Luckily, time IS on your side when it comes to this destination, so you can squeeze in just about everything on your agenda before the sun goes down.
4. Louisville, Kentucky: Grab your big hat and your best dress and head to Kentucky to experience one of the greatest horse-racing spectacles of them all — The Kentucky Derby. Sip mint juleps and place your bets among a lively crowd of 170,000. If you’re someone who wants to avoid the packs, consider making plans to enjoy the bourbon and foodie scene. This includes a visit to the famous Maker’s Mark or Buffalo Trace distilleries. But why stop there? You can take on the entire Bourbon Trail while you’re here. After a day full of spirits, a late brunch at the delicious Proof of Main is all you’ll need to finish off your stay.
5. Bali, Indonesia: If surf, sand, and sun are calling your name, head to this lush island spot. Other than being known for its spectacular mountain volcanoes and beaches, Canggu, a village located on the southern side of the island, offers incredible wave-riding in May. Take a break from sunbathing to watch the pros tackle giant barrels at Deus, a local spot where a big surf competition is held at the start of the month. Once the sunburn sets in, head on over to explore the area’s gorgeous temples, or hop on any of the tropical excursions to get a taste of the exotic culture beyond the beaches.
Which spots are you ready to book a ticket to this May? Let us know @BritandCo!
(Photos via Getty)