14 Black and White Interview Outfits to Land the Job
Think black and white looks are a one-way ticket to snoozeville? Think again. With summer coming to a close and interview season picking up, we’re scoping out chic office-appropriate looks that have just the right amount of edge to make you stand out from the pack. While we recommend keeping in line with workplace dress codes, we also think adding a dose of dalmatian print here + a pair of snazzy heels there never hurt anyone.
1. Mix Master: When done right, mixing black and white prints can really amp up an otherwise plain Jane look. We love the unexpected mix of dalmatian, geometric and palm prints. It’s daring, but classy. (via Who What Wear)
2. #GirlBoss: This white pencil skirt ($78) and court heel duo scream boss lady. Add a checkered blazer, tousled locks and those chic cat-eye sunnies, and you’ll be a treat for those street-style shutterbugs. (via Caroline’s Mode)
3. Got Gingham?: A subtle cut-out, mixed gingham, a bright yellow bag and leather paneled jackets — Hanneli Mustaparta sure knows how to take her office look to the next level. For a subtle fall-appropriate take on this outfit, try this gingham pencil skirt ($48) with a crisp white blouse, and don’t forget this chic yellow clutch ($250). (via Business Lady)
4. Casual Luxe: Edge up your basic black blouse and coat combo with a pair of diamond-print trousers ($298). Not only are these a standout interview piece (we guarantee you’ll get a compliment), but they’re also great paired with a graphic tee on your off-duty days. (via The Classy Cubicle)
5. Sexy Does It: Okay, we agree this dress is a wee risque with the low-cut top and all, so we suggest adding a couple of buttons. Top it off with a cropped blazer and attention-grabbing accessories like these killer heels ($168)! (via The Zoe Report)
6. All White: Forget what the masses say about wearing white after Labor Day. Rock it, girl. We love this simple high-neck dress ($1,400) paired with a neon clutch. Wear this, and you’ve got the job. Trust us. (via ELLE)
8. Like an Editor: Take a cue from street style darling Christine Centenera, in her too-cool-for-the-office look. From her chunky bling ($83) to her pocketed pencil skirt ($60), this is one daring look you have to recreate. (via Fashion Inspiration Blog)
10. Put a Bow on It: Jerry Seinfeld might have something against big, ruffled shirts but we don’t. Balance out your frilly blouse ($35) with cigarette pants and mega heels for a modern twist. (via Habitually Chic)
11. Borrowing from the Boys: A little touch of masculinity can go a long way, especially when balanced with a messy chignon and poppin’ pants. While we don’t recommend the sexy cut-out top, we think this silky blouse ($275) will come in handy. (via Refinery29)
12. Top it Off: Ah, the camel coat ($99). It’s the perfect topper when the temperature starts to dip. We love how it balances out this playful high-neck shift dress and bold tortoiseshell sunnies. (via Pop Sugar)
13. Pretty and Petite: Go on, have a little fun with your look. We’re obsessed with the business-savvy blogger’s touch of girly frill with her cropped jacket. And for all you petite ladies, remember to rock those power heels ($165). (via 9to5 Chic)
14. Chic Layers: Don’t think we left style superstar Olivia Palermo off our list. The street style fixture not only layers like a pro, but she manages to look office-ready even when bundled up. To mimic her look try a windowpane-print skirt ($78) and day-to-night ankle booties ($60). (via Vogue)
Feeling confident enough to try jazzing up your black and white suit? Have a styling question? Ask us in the comments!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.