Just because reading is a thing we do alone doesn’t mean that literary types don’t rock their social feeds. Featured here are 10 Instagram accounts from authors, illustrators, publishers and bookstores who are killing it. And with hashtags like #shelfies, #thisismybookstore, #FridayReads and more, it’s no wonder these feeds are so popular. Want in on this bookish action? Come on in.
1. Lisa Congdon: Painter, hand-letterer, pattern-designer and author, Lisa Congdon does it all. Her amazing eye for print and color make her feed lively and lovely and fun. And her love for pairing hot pink with a variety of neutrals is so perfect it hurts our brains.
2. Jon Klassen: His book, I Want My Hat Back, has quickly risen to the ranks of modern classics, and his Instagram feed is no less rad. Muddy colors dominate this strange and surreal view of the world. And don’t worry, there are like a million pictures of his adorable dog and cat, too. Because what’s an Intagram feed without some good doggie pics?
3. Chronicle Books: With Instagram wizard Irenkly at the helm, it’s no surprise that this publishing house kills it. Founders of the #ThisIsMyBookstore hashtag, Chronicle features kitties, food, cameos from authors and, of course, books it its feed.
4. Erik Heywood: Bookstore and purveyor of lovely paper things, BOOK/SHOP keeps a gorgeous Instagram account, with perfectly framed minimalist images as well as poetically written commentary. Follow them for a daily dose of zen, as well as bookish fun.
5. Oliver Jeffers: He may tell you otherwise, but this picture book author and painter has got a great eye for Instagram. Featuring shots of his current projects, current locales and adorable children, Oliver’s feed is like food for your color-loving soul.
6. City Lights Books: No trip to San Francisco is complete without a visit to this iconic bookstore. Their curated collection of books is totally choice, and their gorgeous space will make you want to curl up and stay forever. In the poetry section, probably.
7. Sophie Blackall: Not only is Sophie an amazing illustrator, but she’s also incredibly well traveled, making her Instagram account a must-follow. Her perspective makes everything look a little more ethereal, a little more magical, and the shots of her current work round it out perfectly.
8. Literati Bookstore: A newbie indie in Ann Arbor, MI, Literati Bookstore is gorgeous down to the last detail — from the checkered floor to their lovely displays. What’s extra cool is that their feed is also beautifully shot, highlighting new books, magnetic poetry and a great Halloween costume collection.
9. Book Art Collective: Rekindle your love for letterpress, hand-binding and real, honest-to-goodness books made out of paper and cloth with this feed. Featured shots of their projects, materials and prints will have you dying to go make some of your own books, or at least to do this year’s Christmas cards yourself.
10. Tahereh Mafi: Author of some super fun, propulsive YA books (think Hunger Games with more kissing), Tahereh Mafi is a DIY-er, bright color enthusiast, fashionista, hand-lettering-queen and manicure expert. From her completely homemade Malificent costume to her insane collection of amazing shoes, Tahereh is basically the coolest. Follow her for all the inspiration you could possibly need to live a brighter, more creative, more romantic life.
What books would be in your #shelfie? Tell us in the comments below!