Think you’ve already seen all the creative braids on the Internet? Wrong! Though we know you’ve swooned over, tried your hand at and pinned waterfall braids, inside out braids, braids within braids and braided buns up the wazoo, we’ve got a new way for you to take your braid to the next level: accessories! Yep. Simply add ribbons, bobby pins and other pretty items to any basic braid and you’ve got a conversation-worthy ‘do in a matter of minutes.
Here are 16 braided styles to get you inspired!
1. Feather Headband Side Braid: Summer may be ending soon, but festival style is here to stay. Rock this look all year round by taking a long headband or hair wrap and braiding it right into your ‘do. (via Brit + Co)
2. Neon Bobby Pins: If you’ve got a seriously thick braid that’s in need of a little added texture, decorate it with pops of color by making neon bobby pins. (via Brit + Co)
3. Woven Fishtail Braid: The neon rope adds both color and texture to the already eye catching hairdo. Best fishtail add-in ever? Yes. (via A Beautiful Mess)
4. Frida Kahlo-Inspired Braided Buns: Take inspiration from one of the most prolific (and beautiful) artists in history by adding ribbon and printed fabric to a crown braid. (via Fashionising)
5. Silk Charms Braided Updo: This hippie-inspired updo is great for boho brides or bridesmaids… or for a random Tuesday night :) (via Wedding Chicks)
6. Bobby Pin Crown Braid: If you love the braided crown but want to add a little edge to your look, add sparkly gold bobby pins! (via Brit + Co)
7. Boho Braided Bun: We love everything about this messy bun — the textured fabric, the beads and the fact that you can freestyle to recreate it. (via Pinterest)
8. Grown Up Hair Wrap: Remember hair wraps? The end of summer is the perfect time to resurrect this retro hair hack—use brightly colored ribbon to make it pop through dark hair. (via Refinery29)
9. Ribbon Braided Flower Crown: This screams ’90s angst but in the prettiest way possible. Cue up Edie Brickell and get braiding. (via Pretty Designs)
10. Metallic Braid Band: Turn bobby pins into an entire headband with this look. As you can see, this was specifically created for wet hair, meaning you can make it your own on a busy morning. (via Brit + Co)
11. Flower Crown Braid: Attention brides, you should probably pin this! Whether you use it for your own locks, your bridesmaids or sophisticated flower girls, this is a romantic, whimsical look we love. (via Pinterest)
12. Braid a Silk Scarf Into Your ‘Do: Got five minutes and dirty hair? Braid a scarf into it! (via Brit + Co)
13. Velvet Ribbon Fishtail Braid: That’s right. VELVET. It’s not just for weird Victorian-era costumes anymore ;) (via Style Bistro)
14. Fabric Woven Top Bun: Take a top bun to the next level with this fabric braided tutorial. Definitely don’t skip that dramatic back part — it makes the style look super polished. (via Refinery29)
15. Yarn and Suede Mini Braid Accents: Not ready to go for the fully decorated braid? Go for a braid that just happens to be hiding in your down ‘do. (via Free People)
16. Chevron Fabric Braid: You know what? Braids look a lot like chevron patterns, especially when tricked out with neon fabric. (via Brit + Co)
How do you take braided hairstyles to the next level? Share photos with us on Instagram and tag @britandco!