When the summer heat is in full force, it’s hard to imagine eating anything hot or super filling for breakfast, let alone think about turning on the stove or oven. Well, we’ve got your first meal of the day covered for the season with these perfectly portable, icy cool Breakfast Parfait Popsicles. This recipe has everything you love about a healthy yogurt parfait — creamy yogurt, sweet fresh fruit and crunchy granola — but transformed into an icy pop you can eat on the go. Not to mention you can easily make a quick batch of these on the weekend to grab and go through the rest of your week. Your morning routine never looked so sweet.
– fresh fruit
– juice from ½ a lemon
– 2-3 tablespoons honey
– ¼ teaspoon vanilla (optional)
– popsicle molds and sticks
Note: Measurements may vary depending on the size and number of popsicles you make — estimate about ¼ cup of yogurt and 2-3 tablespoons each of fruit and granola per popsicle.
- Slice and chop your fruit into small bite-size pieces. We recommend you cut your blueberries in half and your strawberries into tall, thin slices.
- Transfer the fruit to a bowl and add the lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of honey. Stir to combine and coat all the fruit, then set aside for 10-15 minutes to marinate.
- If you’re using plain yogurt, add a bit of honey and vanilla to taste. Feel free to use your own fave flavored yogurt in place of plain and just skip this step. Note: If you’re using thick Greek-style yogurt, add a few tablespoons of milk to thin it out so it’s easier to spoon into the popsicle molds.
- Add about ¼ cup of your yogurt mix or any leftover yogurt to the granola and mix to coat and slightly moisten the granola. This will help the granola to freeze and incorporate into the popsicle.
- Now start filling your molds! Add 1-2 spoonfuls of yogurt, followed by a spoonful of fruit and a spoonful of granola. Continue to layer in this order until the mold is almost full, then finish with a thin layer of yogurt and a sprinkle of granola.
- Repeat this process until all of your molds are filled and then add your popsicle sticks.
- Place your molds in the freezer until fully frozen, at least 6 hours. To remove the popsicle from the mold, run it under warm water for a few seconds to help it release cleanly and then — voila! You’re ready to eat.
Use your fave combination of fresh fruit and slice them up into small, bite-size pieces.
Adding lemon juice and honey to your fruit helps to macerate the pieces, amping up the flavor and drawing out some of the extra water. This makes the fruit the perfect texture for freezing.
If you’re using plain yogurt, add some honey and vanilla to taste to add some flavor. If you’re using Greek yogurt, remember to add some milk to thin it out for a more pourable consistency.
Adding a bit of yogurt to the granola helps it to freeze into the yogurt and create a more solid popsicle.
Time to start layering your ingredients! Start with yogurt, then add a spoonful of fruit and granola and repeat until full. It helps to press the fruit and granola down into the mold a bit so that there are no air pockets.
Add your popsicle sticks and they’re ready for the freezer!
The perfect summer breakfast!
Ready to dig in! These would do well as a totally delicious healthy after-school snack for the kiddies.
It’s hard to resist this classic combination of fruit, granola and yogurt. Get experimental and play with different combos of fruit or flavorings for the yogurt.
Tell us how you’re planning to beat the heat this summer in our comments below!