This Parfait Popsicle Is Your New Fave Breakfast
When the summer heat is in full force, it’s hard to imagine eating anything hot or super filling for breakfast, let alone think about turning on the stove or oven. Well, we’ve got your first meal of the day covered for the season with these perfectly portable, icy cool Breakfast Parfait Popsicles. This recipe has everything you love about a healthy yogurt parfait — creamy yogurt, sweet fresh fruit and crunchy granola — but transformed into an icy pop you can eat on the go. Not to mention you can easily make a quick batch of these on the weekend to grab and go through the rest of your week. Your morning routine never looked so sweet.
– fresh fruit
– juice from ½ a lemon
– 2-3 tablespoons honey
– ¼ teaspoon vanilla (optional)
– popsicle molds and sticks
Note: Measurements may vary depending on the size and number of popsicles you make — estimate about ¼ cup of yogurt and 2-3 tablespoons each of fruit and granola per popsicle.
- Slice and chop your fruit into small bite-size pieces. We recommend you cut your blueberries in half and your strawberries into tall, thin slices.
- Transfer the fruit to a bowl and add the lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of honey. Stir to combine and coat all the fruit, then set aside for 10-15 minutes to marinate.
- If you’re using plain yogurt, add a bit of honey and vanilla to taste. Feel free to use your own fave flavored yogurt in place of plain and just skip this step. Note: If you’re using thick Greek-style yogurt, add a few tablespoons of milk to thin it out so it’s easier to spoon into the popsicle molds.
- Add about ¼ cup of your yogurt mix or any leftover yogurt to the granola and mix to coat and slightly moisten the granola. This will help the granola to freeze and incorporate into the popsicle.
- Now start filling your molds! Add 1-2 spoonfuls of yogurt, followed by a spoonful of fruit and a spoonful of granola. Continue to layer in this order until the mold is almost full, then finish with a thin layer of yogurt and a sprinkle of granola.
- Repeat this process until all of your molds are filled and then add your popsicle sticks.
- Place your molds in the freezer until fully frozen, at least 6 hours. To remove the popsicle from the mold, run it under warm water for a few seconds to help it release cleanly and then — voila! You’re ready to eat.
Use your fave combination of fresh fruit and slice them up into small, bite-size pieces.
Adding lemon juice and honey to your fruit helps to macerate the pieces, amping up the flavor and drawing out some of the extra water. This makes the fruit the perfect texture for freezing.
If you’re using plain yogurt, add some honey and vanilla to taste to add some flavor. If you’re using Greek yogurt, remember to add some milk to thin it out for a more pourable consistency.
Adding a bit of yogurt to the granola helps it to freeze into the yogurt and create a more solid popsicle.
Time to start layering your ingredients! Start with yogurt, then add a spoonful of fruit and granola and repeat until full. It helps to press the fruit and granola down into the mold a bit so that there are no air pockets.
Add your popsicle sticks and they’re ready for the freezer!
The perfect summer breakfast!
Ready to dig in! These would do well as a totally delicious healthy after-school snack for the kiddies.
It’s hard to resist this classic combination of fruit, granola and yogurt. Get experimental and play with different combos of fruit or flavorings for the yogurt.
Tell us how you’re planning to beat the heat this summer in our comments below!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.