Go Back to School at Any Age With 12 Awesome Classes
We don’t know about you but all this end-of-summer and back-to-school talk has us yearning for some learning over here at Brit HQ. Luckily, we’ve got lots of online classes taught by some of our favorite makers, shakers and doers to satisfy that itch. From beginner sewing to concrete masking to HTML + CSS coding, these classes will help you master a new skill just in time for those cooler months. Plus you’ll come out of them with some pretty rad goods made by Y-O-U!
1. Intro to Acrylic Painting ($19): Unleash your inner artist with this informative class taught by art teacher and master blogger Courtney Pilgrim. You’ll learn how to blend color, set up a pretty palette and use various painting techniques to create abstract artwork with depth and texture. After just 60 minutes, you’ll be well-versed in color theory and ready to whip out that paintbrush on the daily.
2. Coding 101: Intro to HTML + CSS ($39): Are you ready to start your personal blog, website or online portfolio? Don’t let life get in the way any longer! Webmaster Allison House is here to help you become a HTML + CSS ninja. Allison will teach you how to code and build a gorgeous website in both HTML and CSS. Get ready to take on the Internet like a boss.
3. Beer Brewing 101 ($19): You (yes, you!) can become a brewmaster in just 30 minutes. Erica Shea’s class is great for beginners and will walk you through all the steps of brewing: from sanitizing supplies and fermentation to transferring your brew into bottles. You’ll also learn about flavor combinations and get inspired to whip up some of your very own unique brews.
4. Knotted Jewelry Workshop ($19): Gorgeous statement necklaces will soon be just a few knots away after this workshop. Here, the mother-daughter duo behind Knotty Gal will teach you all about decorative knots and jewelry making. So instead of spending a pretty penny on a new statement necklace and cuff, you’ll be able to knot your way to some totally trendy accessories.
5. Calligraphy 101 ($29): Whether you have a wedding coming up next year or are just ready to get those handwriting skills on lock, this calligraphy class will take your cursive to a whole other level. Calligraphy pro Lauren Essl will guide you step-by-step through basic script technique for both numbers and letters. You’ll also get alphabet templates, grids and practice sheets to hone your skill.
6. Sewing 101 ($19): Whether you are a sewing novice or haven’t picked up a needle and thread in quite some time, this beginner sewing class will help you become the sewing rockstar you always wanted to be. Our resident expert Roxy Taghavian will teach you the pros and cons of different fabrics and where to find the most unique fabrics and essential tools. After 60 minutes, you’ll get that seamstress confidence and learn how to sew three projects (a cloth napkin, pillowcase and maxi skirt.)
7. DIY Concrete Design Class ($19): This class will help you take your home or office from drab to industrial chic with some concrete DIY skills. Ben Uyeda, founder of Homemade Modern, will teach you how to cut and build a mold, mix the concrete and cast a modern diamond-shaped concrete lamp. After it dries (48 hours), Ben will also teach you how to wire your new rad creation. Once you master this project, you’ll be ready to mold up all kinds of awesome concrete home goods.
8. Letterpress At Home Class ($19): Just in time for the pre-holiday craziness, this 30-minute home letterpress class will help you create your very own holiday and thank you cards. Eunice Moyle of Hello!Lucky will guide you through the basics with an overview of custom plate making, ink mixing, printing setup and proper inking, using a brayer. You’ll be able to use these techniques to make the prettiest holiday cards ever.
9. Sketching 101 ($19): Don’t let the art of sketching intimidate you any longer. This fun class will help you with basic drawing skills. You’ll learn how to hold your pencils, create shadow and 3D effects. After 55 minutes, you’ll walk away with a beautiful geometric floral piece to hang on your gallery wall.
10. Knitting for Beginners ($19): Fall is the perfect time to hone in on those knitting skills. Jade Harwood of Wool and the Gang will teach you the knitting basics (how to choose your yarn and hold the needle; how to start and basic stitching) and some quick fixes for common mistakes. In just 60 minutes, you’ll be rocking your very own handmade snood with that autumn #ootd.
11. DIY Nail Art ($19): Get ready to nail your next at-home mani with this 60-minute DIY nail art class by Stephanie Stone. She’ll share all her nail artist secrets and show you how to ombre and layer your way to a super on-trend geometric design. Before you know it, you’ll be flaunting your DIY nail art all over town.
12. LED Electronics Class ($19): Love all things techy? Us too! Let our very own Brit Morin teach you the fundamentals of DIY electronics with an introduction to atoms, currents, electrical charges and circuits. After this 20-minutes class, you’ll have your very own DIY light.