The season of warm weather, frosé, beach time, and yes, fresh cuts is here! A brand-new hairstyle to match your cheery summertime vibe is a must. But what’s the best way to decide on a new haircut, you ask? Look to celebs for some major inspo, of course. Luckily, celebrity stylists Laurie Heaps (the visionary behind Danielle Fishel and Rowan Blanchard’s hair) and Jessica Shakir (Karlie Kloss and Carrie Keagan are just a few names on her client roster) can offer some much-needed insight on the hottest looks for summer.
1. Face-Framing Fringe Bangs: Georgia May Jagger and Alexa Chung are both going for face-framing bangs this season. “Bardot bangs, curtain bangs, or A-shaped bangs, whatever you call them, the effect is the same — soft face-framing fringe that creates a more oval-shaped face,” says Shakir. “They’re a great match for the ‘I-woke-up-like-this’ bed head, and this style can also be pretty easy to achieve. It’s also a great option for square-shaped and round-shaped faces.” (Photo via Alberto Pizzoli/AFP/Getty)
2. Bob and Bangs Combo: You’ve seen this combo on Kerry Washington and Emma Stone recently, so give it a whirl if you’re on the hunt for a universally flattering look. “Oh, how I love a textured bob with textured bangs; it’s stylish and beyond cool,” says Shakir. “Whether you pair your bob with blunt bangs or side-swept bangs that blend into your haircut (which is great for heart-shaped faces, by the way), both styles give the illusion of thick and full hair!” (Photo via Michael Tran/Getty)
3. Feather Bob: “The ends of a feather are slightly textured, but it keeps a curved shape that still looks blunt. For this chin-length style, the baseline is cut in a soft U-shape. The ends look blunt, not overly texturized, just like a feather,” says Heaps, who styled Rowan Blanchard in this choppy bob. (Photo via Steve Granitz/WireImage)
4. Piecey Layers: For longer hair, Heaps loves this light-as-air look that she styled on Danielle Fishel for summer. “We added lots of piecey layers, and I took a lot of weight out of the ends for a layered look,” she says. “Once the cut and color were finished, Danielle wanted me to do something less polished, a more undone, effortless look.” (Photo via Laurie Heaps)
5. Wispy Bangs: Taylor Swift and Selena Gomez are both showing off throwback looks this summer with wispy bangs that read French girl-meets-’80s effortlessness. Avoid an overly polished look as the goal is a look that says you aren’t trying too hard — it’s summer after all! (Photo via Christopher Polk/TAS18/Getty)
6. Modern Pixie: As soon as the temps hit 80, who wants to bother with a fussy style? Not Scarlett Johansson, for one. “Short is in for summer,” proclaims Heaps. Opt for a modern take on the pixie cut this time of year. It’s full of volume and long layers for a softer, more romantic take on the classic cut. (Photo via Angela Weiss/AFP/Getty)
(Feature image via Laurie Heaps)
Which hairstyle are you into for this summer? Sound off over @BritandCo.