Game Day Breakfast Game Plan = This Super (Chia) Bowl
Hold onto your helmets, sports fans. This incredibly delicious and superbly healthy Super Chia Muesli Breakfast Bowl is sure to give you all the energy you need to make it through game day. This morning meal is high in fiber and healthy fats and is perfect for cleansing the body of toxins thanks to that magical little seed that goes by the name of chia. If you don’t know much about chia, know this: It is the cat’s meow when it comes to cleansing and detoxing, and it’s come a long way since its cha-cha-cha-Chia–Pet days.
Chia is a super-seed with some pretty powerful properties. Firstly, it’s loaded with healthy Omega-3 fatty acids, which are necessary for glowing, healthy skin and nails. Secondly, it’s seriously packing cleansing dietary fiber. Just one ounce contains 11 grams of fiber, which is almost half of what you need for an entire day!
When chia is combined with liquid, be it water or, in this case, unsweetened almond milk, it soaks up all the liquid and takes on a gel-like consistency. This gel makes its way through the digestive system, sweeping away toxins and waste, and keeps your pipes squeaky clean. Think of chia as the chimney sweep of the intestines. Aside from the fiber, chia is also a fantastic source of calcium and magnesium.
Chia aside, this breakfast bowl is full of antioxidants thanks to lemon, berries and dark chocolate. With all the healthy fats, fiber and clean carbohydrates, it will keep the body feeling full to ward off any of those pesky Super Bowl Sunday dip cravings. Add this recipe to your weekly rotation, and it will keep those healthy-eating resolutions going strong.
Ingredients for 2 Servings
For the Lemon Chia Pudding:
– 4 tablespoons chia seeds
– 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
– 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
– 10 drops liquid stevia or 1 tablespoon raw honey or agave
For the Muesli Topping:
– 10 raw almonds, chopped
– 5 raw pecans, chopped
– ½ cup mixed fresh berries of choice
– 4 dried apricots, chopped
– 2 tablespoons shredded unsweetened coconut
– 1 tablespoon dark chocolate shavings (70% or higher dark chocolate)
– 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
1. Begin by making the Lemon Chia Pudding. In an 8-ounce jar or a small Tupperware container, add all of the Lemon Chia Pudding ingredients, cover and shake vigorously for 10 seconds.
2. Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, then remove and shake for 10 seconds again.
3. Place in the refrigerator for another 30 minutes or leave overnight.
4. Once the chia seeds have soaked in the almond milk, they will create a pudding. Divide the pudding between two bowls.
5. Top the pudding evenly with the chopped almonds and pecans, berries, apricots, coconut, dark chocolate shavings and lemon zest. Then grab a spoon and dig in.
What’s your favorite way to enjoy the amazing chia seed? Enter in the comments below!
Social media is an amazing free marketing tool that didn't exist 15 years ago. Particularly with Instagram, you can use a few images and words to tell followers who you are in an instant. While we can't share *all* the things we covered in this week's Selfmade master session on social media and brand voice, as part of our collaboration with Office Depot we're sharing a few key takeaways.