Falling into a mindless munching trap during a high-stress sporting event like the Super Bowl can easily happen to the best of us. Not to worry — these 18 healthy eats are here to help. Even if you end up overindulging, each is lighter than the usual sporting event fare. The best part? No one will feel like they’re missing out on the fun; we’ve got you covered with chicken wings, creamy dips and so many more delicious and nutritious options.
1. Healthy Buffalo Dip: Made with a base of beans and cashews, this dip is filling without weighing you down. Scoop it up with carrot and celery sticks for even more of a Buffalo wing-esque experience (via The Balanced Berry)
2. Shrimp Lettuce Wraps: These lettuce wraps might be low in carbs, but they sure aren’t low in flavor. Top ’em off with a drizzle of Sriracha and some thinly sliced jalapeños to add a little bit more zing. (via Happy and Harried)
7. Roasted Veggie Crispy Tortillas With Creamy Chipotle Sauce: Smokey, spicy and tangy, the chipotle and Greek yogurt sauce drizzled atop this taco works beautifully with the sweet flavor of roasted veg. (via Yeah… immaeatthat)
12. Spaghetti With Chicken Meatballs and Spicy Red Pepper Sauce: We’d gladly tuck into a pile of these spicy meatballs, with or without a tangle of pasta underneath. (via Crumb Blog)
13. Miso-Glazed Eggplant Dip: Baba ghanouj may be a classic, but it better watch its back. This twist — laced with miso and sesame oil — brings some serious competition to the table. (via The Blenderist)
14. Turkey Basil Chili Baked Potatoes: A splash of wine makes this turkey chili *extra* special. Whether you serve it over baked potatoes or enjoy it plain is up to you; it’s terrific whichever way you dish it up. (via Sifted Not Stirred)
16. Crispy Baked Falafels, Asian-Style: Crispy and creamy chickpea fritters are absolutely divine served with an Asian-inspired slaw and gingery hummus. You’ll love the fusion of textures, flavors and cultures. (via No Spoon Necessary)
17. Baked Coconut Chicken Tenders: Chicken tenders aren’t just for the kiddos anymore. We’re thinking these tropical-tasting strips would be amazing served with a fruity salsa (mango, anyone?). (via The Wholesome Dish)
18. Skinny Mexican Pizza: Tostadas meet pizza to create these delish personal-size pies. Make your life easier by setting out the toppings and letting folks doll ’em up to their own liking. (via Snixy Kitchen)
What are some of your healthier snacks to nibble on during the Super Bowl? Share yours below.