This Zoodle Soup Recipe Is Comfort Food Wrapped in a Whole30 Hug
It’s soup season, and we’re doing it Whole30 style! The Whole30 diet emphasizes whole foods and encourages those brave enough to try it to eliminate sugar, alcohol, grains, legumes, soy, and dairy from their regular diet. It’s similar to the Paleo diet, but even more restrictive! If you’re on the Whole30 bandwagon and looking for a soul-soothing recipe that’s still diet-friendly, you’ve come to the right place. Scroll on for a comforting (and healthy) soup recipe that’s sure to be your new favorite.
Chicken Zoodle Soup RECIPE
From Anna Monette Roberts, Brit + Co
- 3 Tablespoons ghee, divided
- 1 bone-in, skin-on chicken breast (or 2 thighs)
- 6 cups chicken bone broth
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 medium-sized carrot, diced
- 1 celery stick, diced
- 1/2 leek, cleaned and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 3 cups zucchini noodles
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, stems removed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, and then add 2 tablespoons ghee. When fully melted, place chicken skin-side down. Sear for 7 minutes, flip, and sear for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add bone broth, cover pot, and cook for 10 minutes. Flip chicken, cover, and cook for an additional 10 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the meat reads 160 degrees (time depends on the size and thickness of the meat).
- Remove chicken from pot, reserving stock for soup. Once cool, shred into bite-size pieces, discarding bones and skin.
- Wipe out the pot and set over medium heat; add 1 tablespoon ghee, onion, carrot, celery, leek, garlic, bay leaf, and thyme. Stir occasionally, and cook until vegetables are soft and translucent, but not browned. Add reserved stock, and bring to a simmer.
- Add zoodles, and cook for 5-6 minutes, or until the noodles are al dente. Stir in shredded chicken. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in parsley leaves and allow to wilt before serving.
Want more comforting, healthy recipes? Follow us on Pinterest!
(Photos via Justin Gallagher)