12 Coat + Boot Combos You Have to Try This Winter
Sure, boots and a coat are the last things you put on before you go out, but that doesn’t mean they’re not as essential to your outfit as a your shirt and pants. Far from it, especially as they become more and more instrumental the colder the weather gets (and, in turn, way more noticeable). As we’ve seen time and again, a clutch coat can make a look no matter where you go, and knowing the right style to pair with your boots — and all the layers in between — is what separates the street style stars from everyone else. That’s why we’ve come up with this cheat sheet of our favorite coats for every fall and winter occasion and paired them with boot styles you probably already have in your closet. From wool stunners and pointed ankle boots for a swanky date night dinner to a trek through the snow in a parka and hikers, these are all the duos to try this season.
1. Quilted Puffer Jacket + Lined Rain Boots: A warm longline puffer ($150) calls for equally weather-proof boots, but don’t grab your clunky, fur-lined pairs to frolic through the snow. Tone down the natural bulk of the coat with sleek rain boots ($90) lined to protect your toes from the cold. Trust us, this is the most stylish way to bundle!
2. Hooded Parka + Hiker Boots: Play up the outdoorsy vibes of your hooded parka ($86) with a pair of hiking boots ($220) that will lace up over the chunkiest socks you’ve got with ease — and look ultra cool with joggers. Bonus points for color coordinating the two!
3. Canvas Coat + Snow Boots: A water-resistant canvas jacket ($53) keeps the flakes at bay, and even though this number is fully lined, layering here is key to staying toasty. Leave the effort for your top and protect your feet with snow boots ($220) that keep out the slush and chill without even trying. Plus their added flair more than makes up for your practical outerwear (though the faux leather sleeves put this coat a cut above the rest).
COZY COATS + BOOTS
4. Faux Fur Coat + Moto Boots: Faux fur coats are everywhere right now, and when the temperature dips, one should be on you. Snuggle up in fluffy shearling ($70 — or something even hairier, seriously!) and slip on clunky moto boots ($225) to contrast the soft tresses. The classic black buckled pairs will look just fine, but we could not pass up this classier tweed version.
5. Robe Coat + Buckled Ankle Boots: The lapels on this robe coat ($190) are basically pillows, cascading like a dream when open and protecting ya neck in place of a scarf on those nippier days. Color is key when a jacket is this oversized, so pick a winter pastel like this icy blue to wear your favorite white or gray buckled ankle boots ($94) — they’ll give the flowy silhouette some structure.
6. Blanket Coat+ Clog Booties: We don’t need to sell you on the soft fabric or the eye-catching pattern of this cape ($99), because you’re basically wearing a blanket, which means all is right with the world. Play up the boho vibe with a pair of clog booties ($420) that will practically last you a lifetime.
DATE NIGHT COATS + BOOTS
7. High Neck Coat + Pointed Toe Chelsea Boots: When you want all eyes on your LBD, make sure your coat will grab attention for the big reveal. A patterned coat is one thing, but this embellished coat ($368) is next-level. Take a style cue from this model and pair with open-toed heels if you’re hopping from cab-to-party and back, or break out a pair of pointed toe Chelsea boots ($69) to keep the look streamlined whenever you step outside.
8. Fringe Jacket + Heeled Ankle Boots: Not only are fringe coats on fire this season, when made of soft faux leather, the Western-inspired style gets a modern overhaul (we’re especially loving the ribbed knit collar on this coat ($111) — when have you seen that detail on a piece like this before?). Complete this day date look with heeled ankle boots ($196).
9. Moto-Style Jacket + Cutout Booties: A moto-style jacket ($35) will add structure to outfits that involve breezy maxis and drapey wide-legged trousers. Keep it sleek from head to toe with cutout booties ($98) that have the same slightly edgy, yet still feminine feel.
WEAR-TO-WORK COATS + BOOTS
10. Cocoon Coat + Wedge Booties: Office neutrals, eat your heart out. True, the color drew us to this cocoon coat, but the hue is only the start of what’s great about this ultra versatile, full-coverage coat. We imagine a pencil skirt and wedge booties ($100) will keep this one in heavy rotation.
11. Wool Trench Coat + Heeled Lace-Up Boots: Keep a ladylike figure with a winter-worthy trench ($325) that, once again, doesn’t have to resign your cold weather wardrobe to dreary tan or black. Because of the flared silhouette, pair with boots that hug the ankles and elongate the legs, like girly heeled lace-ups ($255) or slim-fit knee-highs, like on the model here.
12. Cape Coat + Riding Boots: We’re obsessed with the cape coat ($199), an outerwear hybrid that gives you the fashion-forward silhouette of a cape *with* sleeves to keep it versatile — it’s a marriage of form and function you want for everyday wear. Pair the cropped silhouette with tall and lengthy riding boots ($245) that will turn up your usual button up/skinny trousers ensemble just like that.
What are your go-to coat and boot combos? Tell us about your favorite pairings in the comments below.
You can wear many hats running a business and sometimes some look better than others. Thanks to Office Depot, we're talking with Koyun Fan, co-founder of Sticky Rice Sisters, about finding inspiration along the way and staying organized on the road to success.