When it comes to accessorizing, turtlenecks come out on top as the most mysterious piece to style. The question stands: Can a necklace actually be worn with one? Its high-rolling neckline seems to point to “no,” but sometimes even the most standout of style basics needs jazzing up, and that’s where collar-hugging baubles come in. Any necklace style, from chunky statement chokers to long lariats, instantly transforms the cozy piece into something insanely glamorous — that is, as long as it fits around the extra fabric. If you’re looking for an easy way to dress up your snuggliest winter top, try one of these turtleneck and necklace pairings. Date night-approved, just like that.
1. J.Crew Collection Italian Stretch Turtleneck Sweater ($228) + BaubleBar Crystal Abalone Bib ($68): Add a touch of glamour to an everyday essential with eye-catching gems in complementary hues. It’ll add dimension and drama to an otherwise simple sweater, while totally shaking up your workweek and weekend repertoire.
2. Loft Fireside Sweater ($60) + Melanie Auld Double Triangle Lariat Necklace ($109): Skip the short, dainty chain chokers and collars that will too easily get lost against a backdrop of heavy, textured fabrics. If minimalist is what you’re after, opt for long lariats that feature pendants that will make them pop.
3. Reformation Jenning Top ($128) + BaubleBar Lightening Bug Collar ($68): Dress up a frilly, feminine top by adorning a delicately ruffled collar with cascades of crystals and gold. Pair it up with leather-look trousers and masculine platform kicks for an edgy yet elegant ensemble.
4. ASOS Turtleneck in Ditsy Print ($29) + Anthropologie Bainbridge Layer Necklace ($64): Play with patterns in an unexpected way by teaming up a printed turtleneck top with a mixed-media collar necklace. While you’re on a pattern clashing kick, think opposites on the color spectrum as well — say, wear a dark top and a bright necklace — to make the combo really pop.
5. Warehouse Stitchy Tabard ($71) + Maslo Jewelry Baseline Necklace ($54): Bold beads set over a simple brass coil bring a crazy sophisticated edge to a laid-back poncho top. Rock it with a structured midi skirt or cigarette trousers for an easy office or date-night getup.
6. Banana Republic Oversized Turtleneck Sweater ($88) + BaubleBar Audrey Tassel Bib ($52): Slouchy sweaters call for add-ons with a little more oomph. Opt for lower-hanging numbers with look-at-me embellishments to balance out the neck’s bulk.
7. Reformation Abbey Alpaca Sweater ($228) + Nocturne Vik Bib Necklace ($258): A black turtleneck is straight up timeless, but that doesn’t mean you can’t teach it a few new tricks. Give it the ultra-modern treatment with a glitzy geometric pendant.
8. COS Roll-Neck Merino Jumper ($115) + French Connection Multi-Row Necklace ($98): Giving a tough-girl edge to a casually cool separate is as easy as adding a layer of gunmetal chains. This is the direction to go if you’re looking to leave a lasting impression under a not-so-stuffy suit.
9. Madewell Snowglobe Bobble Turtleneck Sweater ($110) + Crescioni Willow Necklace ($270): It’s all about moderation when it comes to pairing accessories with an embellished turtleneck. Stick to a similar color palette and understated yet impactful pieces, like this adjustable leather necklace, that will elevate — not overtake — your outfit’s grounding piece.
Have you tried out the turtleneck-and-necklace look? Show us how you do it by tagging us on Instagram @britandco!