These 9 Instababes Will Show You How to Work Fall’s Hottest Lipstick Trend
It’s generally accepted in the world of makeup that you can never go wrong with a classic red lip, but what about the other shades of red? This fall is all about breaking from tradition when it comes to that hue and giving the little guys — the red-purples, the red-browns, the red-mauves — a chance. We scrolled through our beauty-filled Instagram feeds (I mean, seriously, who are these goddesses?!) to bring you some of our absolute favorite takes on the deep red lip that’s so trendy this fall. Scroll through and get inspired to go to the dark side.
1. @nikkiartistry As soon as we saw Nikki’s look, we were totally drawn in by the all of the bold and edgy things happening at once. Not only is her skin pretty much poreless, but the pairing of a deep blue liner with such a rich berry red (a combo of two lip colors, btw) creates incredible contrast. (Photo via @nikkiartistry)
2. @amandlastenberg: The continuously stunning Amandla Stenberg takes a deep jam red and makes it casual with this pairing of a tank and relaxed makeup. This look is perfect for a day when you’re running late, or just to simplify your usual makeup routine. Just fill in your brows and swipe on that next-level red. (Photo via @amandlastenberg)
3. @michellephan: Leave it to Michelle Phan to make us want to go all-out ’90s with our dark makeup. A gorgeous ombre lip + smokey, shimmery lids = major #makeupgoals for fall. (Photo via @michellephan)
4. @___itsveronica: Sometimes ladies with light hair and skin can be nervous about giving darker shades a try, but this look proves that if you balance your color correctly, dark tones can really pop (in a good way) against lighter features. Go easy on the eyes and skin, doing little more than liner and a soft highlight, and the deeper lip color won’t overwhelm. (Photo via @___itsveronica)
5. @jamiejchung: A pinky-red hue nearing raspberry, Jamie Chung’s lip color works well with fall’s darker tones without stepping entirely away from the brightness of summer. This look is worth investing in because of its versatility; it would be great for date night, but isn’t too much for your regular workday. (Photo via @jamiejchung)
6. @zozeebo: Zoella shows that matching your makeup to your outfit can work out as long as you balance the color carefully and, of course, make sure the colors actually match. The cooler tones of this lipstick draw attention to her blue eyes and make the golden tones in her hair really catch your eye. (Photo via @zozeebo)
7. @ellaeyre: Here we have an example of a warmer reddish-brown and how it really does warm the face. Ella’s blond highlights act as a bright backdrop to this golden look. If you’re in a place that’s rapidly getting cooler as fall approaches, you’ll be glad to be able to embody some warmth. (Photo via @ellaeyre)
8. @cvirkatie: This goth-on-duty look makes brown lipstick something we’re dying to get our hands on (who knew it *stunned* with rose gold hair?). Not quite red, but not quite black, it’s a lip color that is a perfect match for those who wanted to try last season’s black lipstick trend but were nervous about not being about to pull it off. (Photo via @cvirkatie)
9. @sunkissalba: Alba might have found our favorite way to wear a berry lip this fall: with pumpkin spice-inspired makeup! See how the purple-y lip brings out the zing in the orange shadow around her eyes? Flawless. (Photo via @sunkissalba)
Which shade of red will you make your fall go-to? Let us know in the comments!