Stay Cozy in This DIY Dip-Dye Flannel Shirt
There’s nothing like a soft flannel shirt to keep you warm in the cold. They’re not only super comfy, like wearing PJs in public, but they’re also a closet staple that works for both men and women. We decided to give our softest flannel shirt a new look this season with a dip-dye DIY. Once you get the hang of fabric dyeing, you’ll want to transform your whole closet with a colorful dip dye. The possibilities are endless!
Materials and Tools:
- flannel shirt
- fabric dye
- plastic bucket
- stir stick
- cup or jar
1. Make sure your shirt is laundered to remove any factory residue and prepare it to properly absorb dye.
2. Follow the package instructions to mix up your dye solution.
3. Fill your plastic bucket with water according to the package instructions and half of your mixed dye solution.
4. Wet your flannel shirt and dip it into the dye solution where you want the dye to start.
5. Follow the package instructions, and every few minutes pull the fabric out of the dye bath about an inch or so. We followed the instructions and moved it every 10 minutes for a total of 60 minutes.
6. Add the rest of the dye solution to the bucket and keep pulling more fabric out every few minutes until you’ve removed it completely.
7. Rinse the shirt in warm to cold water until the water runs clear.
8. Once dry, the dye will lighten in color, so don’t worry if it looks too dark to start.
If you can’t find the color you want, try combining a few colors of fabric dye.
By only using half of the dye solution to start and adding the rest later, we can create a soft ombre effect.
You can choose a dye that complements the colors in your shirt or go wild with colorful combinations.
Pretty in plaid!
For more fashion and beauty DIYs, follow us on Pinterest!