We’ve officially entered the second half of July, and that means it’s officially time to grab the most colorful luggage and pack our travel essentials for summer vacation. After compiling my sunscreen, sunnies and DIY tassel sandals, I realized I don’t have many pieces that are perfect if you’re going down to the beach and need something easy to wear over and over. So, since I have been in awe of this amazing needlepoint dress by Urban Outfitters for the last two months, I thought it was the perfect time for a new DIY copycat! Follow along, because all you need to create this unique outfit is a plain white dress, iron-on transfer paper and a cute lace trim ;)
Materials and Tools:
— white dress
— iron-on transfer paper
— a piece of cotton fabric
— lace trim
— sewing machine
1. Download and print our template on a sheet of transfer paper, then cut the image, leaving a 1/4-inch border.
2. Place the transfer paper, image side down, onto your dress and iron according to the producer’s instructions. Use the piece of cotton fabric to protect the transfer paper.
3. Let everything cool and slowly peel off the transfer paper.
4. Turn the dress so that the back side is facing you. Then pin the lace trim to the upper edge of the front part as shown below.
5. Use the sewing machine to sew everything in place. Next cut the excess.
First, print our design onto the correct side of the transfer paper and set “photo quality” on your printer. Cut it out, leaving a 1/4-inch border, then place it onto the dress. Then use the piece of cotton fabric to protect the transfer paper and iron the fake embroidery (image side down) for at least one minute. Be sure to check the producer’s instructions for the best results. Now, let everything completely cool and slowly remove the paper. At this point, turn the dress so that the back side is facing you, then pin the lace trim to the upper edge of the front part as shown above. My lace trim was quite thick, so I decided to pin most of it inside the dress, but if you have a thinner trim, you definitely don’t have to. Finally, use the sewing machine to sew everything in place, cut the excess and you’re done!
Voilà! How cute it is from every angle!
Just perfect for beach days and warm summer nights.
Show us your project by tagging us on Instagram + using the hashtag #iamcreative!