Make Your Own Dip-Dye Woven Bag With This Easy DIY
Give us all the wicker and straw because nothing says vacation like a cute and colorful bag. The only thing better than the natural fiber is a dip dye DIY — perfect for personalizing your farmer's market tote, beach bag, or casual crossbody. Ahead are three simple ways to give your favorite sack a signature summer upgrade to complete every vacation outfit.
You'll need: wicker and market-style bags, fabric dye, plastic containers, water, pins, and gloves
One-Color Dip-Dye Bag Instructions
1. Measure how much of your basket you want to dye (AKA how high you want the color to go), and then mark with a safety pin.
2. Fill the container with water and then dip basket and remove.
3. Mix dye in. Keep in mind that your dye always dries much lighter, and it's okay to add a little extra color to guarantee brightness.
4. Dip the basket into the dye bath and hold until the bottom of the basket is completely soaked. Keep in mind that this can take much longer when the wicker is coated. Depending on the coating, you can let it soak for as long as an hour.
5. Once soaked, rinse the basket with cool and then warm water until it runs clear in the sink.
6. Allow your basket to dry, and then it's off to market you go!
Ombré Dip Dye Bag Instructions
1. Fill the container with water, and then wet the surface of the bag.
2. Mix the dye in. Again, remember that dye dries much lighter if you want to add extra.
3. Hold top corners of bag and quickly dip 3/4 of the bag into dye (leaving top portion as is) for about two seconds. Continue to dip in a slow up and down motion, gradually pulling the bag out of the dye. This technique creates the smooth ombré effect. Continue dipping bag until color is as desired. For a more dramatic effect, keep the bottom third of bag in the dye for longer. Finish by rinsing the bag in cool and then warm water until water runs clear.
4. Let your new purse dry, grab your shades, and your #OOTD is complete.
Color-Gradient Dip-Dye Bag
1. Fill three separate containers with water, and then wet the surface of the bag.
2. Choose two colors and add each dye to a separate plastic container. Create your third color by combining both dyes in another container.
3. Dip the entire bag into the third bath of combined dyes.
4. Hold your bag in the middle, and carefully dip the bottom half into the second color bath (single color). Let soak for 10 minutes or until it reaches the desired color.
5. Flip the bag over and dip the top half into the final container (single color). Let sit for 10 minutes or until it reaches the desired shade.
6. Rinse bag in cool water and then in warm water until it runs clear.
7. Allow your bag to dry and then paint the town ombré.
Do you live to DIY? Us too (obvi). Be sure to follow us Pinterest for more projects and how-tos!
(Photos via Brittany Griffin / Brit + Co)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)