Folks, Halloween is in TWO WEEKS! Do you know what you’re going to be yet? And what about your kiddos? If you’re still on the hunt for the perfect mom and kid costume, we’ve got a great DIY option for you. Presenting: Lightning and Thunder!
We teamed up with Cotton to create this costume, with the goal of making it easy to customize for different ages and sizes. You can also easily add in additional parents and kids as extra thunderclouds, lightning bolts and someone could definitely be the rain. Or perhaps, Gene Kelly’s character from Singing in the Rain? ;)
How amazing does Brit + Co mama Misty Spinney look as a lightning bolt? And her outrageously adorable Elijah is definitely the cutest “thunder” we’ve ever seen. Now, let’s get to the how-to!
– navy or gray cotton baby pajamas or onesie
– cotton balls
– yellow cotton dress
– gold fabric paint
– gold fabric-friendly glitter
– paint brush
– hot glue gun and glue
– painter’s tape
1. Start with the thunder. Use hot glue to attach cotton balls to a pair of navy or gray cotton pajamas or a onesie.
2. For the lightning bolt, place cardboard in the middle of your dress.
3. Use painter’s tape to create a lightning bolt shape on the front of the dress.
4. Paint with gold fabric paint.
5. Sprinkle on gold glitter while the paint is still wet.
6. Let dry and remove painter’s tape.
We lucked out in the pajamas department and came across these storm cloud jammers at Baby Gap. So perfect!
Use hot glue to attach cotton balls to your onesie. Yep — those are standard cotton balls!
If you feel like getting fancy, you could mix in a few blue or gray cotton pom poms as well, but we like keeping it simple.
Done. We did two clouds on the top and one on the bottom. Now, onto that lightning bolt dress for mama!
Since you’ll be painting your dress, you want to start by sliding a piece of cardboard or poster board into your dress. Then use painter’s tape to create a lightning bolt shape.
Fill in the lightning bolt with gold paint. Sprinkle on glitter intermittently while the paint is still wet.
Let dry and remove tape.
Now, all we need to do is find the perfect mama and kiddo to wear them… ;)
Love these two.
What creative parent + kid costumes have you bookmarked? Or made? Talk to us in the comments below!
This post is a collaboration with Cotton.