15 DIY Ways to Store Your Makeup
Rad: you found your stocking stuffed with makeup, brushes, and nail polish on Christmas morning! Bad: now you’re completely out of beauty storage space. Don’t even think of resorting to stowing your stash from Santa in a zip-top plastic bag (eek!)—there are so many DIY options that take only an afternoon to whip out. So just grab your scraps of felt, leather, or even a spare mason jar or two, and you’ll have stylish space for your cosmetics in no time!
1. Mini Boxy Makeup Bag: Once you learn how to sew this classic boxy makeup bag, you’re pretty much set for life in the makeup storage department. It’s a convenient carryall that you can personalize with fun fabrics. (via Say Yes to Hoboken)
2. Embellished Mason Jars: You know we’re suckers for repurposing a mason jar, so we love this idea of tricking them out three different ways to make them worthy to hold your beauty basics. (via Beautylish)
3. Chic Splattered Travel Case: Who says your travel case doesn’t deserve a makeover as glam as the one you give yourself? We used three shades of nail polish to create a chic splatter pattern. Clever, huh? (via Brit + Co.)
4. Makeup Brush Roll: Now this might be the most genius upgrade we’ve ever seen: using a sushi roller as a makeup brush roll. With that bright red ribbon embellishment and the brushes so perfectly in line, we had to do a double take too! (via Cremè de la Craft)
5. Felt Pouch: Here’s another easy-to-sew project that won’t just benefit your makeup: this felt case is perfect pouch for carrying sunglasses, earbuds, or even snacks on the go. The contrast thread makes it feel like something truly special. (via Henry Happened)
6. Candle Jar Makeup Holder: Don’t you think of tossing out that old candle jar, even if it’s still stuffed with old wax (it’s easy to remove, just watch the video on this blog!)—save ‘em, then stack ‘em to make this clear, pyramid makeup organizer. It’s perfect for gals with large cosmetic collections (did someone say, color coding?) ;) (via Life Ann Style)
7. Nail Polish Kit: Even if it’s only a weekend away, a girl needs some nail polish color options. Try your hand at construing this cute polish kit that can fit up to three shades for fickle fingers. (via See Kate Sew)
8. Gilded China Dish: It’s our go-to technique for updating thrift store finds or hand-me-downs: the gold dip. After a shiny coat of paint, this dish is now as pretty as your makeup. (via Alexandra Hedin)
9. Leather Makeup Brush Holder: If you’re like us, you’ve got bits of leather scraps all rolled up and tucked away in your supplies bin. After we saw this DIY, some of those scraps are now rolled up around our makeup brushes. (via Henry Happened)
10. Scrap Wood Makeup Brush Holder: Gold-plated hardware and a dark stain make this wooden stump look striking as a makeup brush holder. It’s the perfect way to organize your beauty tools on your dresser or vanity. (via House of Earnest)
11. Embroidery Floss Makeup Case: We love this super simple way to turn a basic fabric makeup bag into something totally fab: embroidery floss stitching! Those colorful threads—and the duo of fluffy tassels—make sure you’ll never brush over this pouch in your purse again. (via The Office Space)
12. Custom Makeup Palette: Do you find yourself carrying around a dozen eyeshadow compacts just to use one color from each case? Leave the outcast colors behind and make yourself a custom palette: you’ll not only have to lug less around, but it’ll make you look totally pro. Did we just blow your minds? :) (via Brit + Co.)
13. Aluminum Utensil Holders: Cut it, roll it, screw it shut, and you’ve just transformed a perforated aluminum sheet into a classy cylinder that’s great for keeping brushes, eye liner pencils, and lipstick in line. (via Sugar & Cloth)
14. Polka Dot Tray: If you’d rather lay your things out than keep them buttoned up in a pouch, then try dedicating a tray to your beauty accessories. We’re nuts about this one that’s done up in polka dots. (via For Chic Sake)
How do you store your makeup? Do you always zip it up or only pouch it only when you’re on the go? Do you have dedicated space to your beauty products? Tell us about it in the comments below!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.