Dulce de leche might look like caramel, but there are some pretty major differences. The sweet syrup has wayyy less sugar than caramel, and the treat most commonly associated with South America is made by slow cooking a can of condensed milk (whereas the traditional counterpart typically consists of sugar, water, and cream). You can make it in a crock pot, on the stove top, or buy it in a store. To jump-start your obsession, we’ve compiled 13 dulce de leche dessert recipes that are going to sweeten your life with just one taste.
1. Salted Dulce De Leche Tart: Buttery crust with a salty-sweet middle. What more can you ask for? To make your life easier, the crust and caramel-colored custard can be bought in a store. (via Goodie Godmother)
3. Dulce De Leche Crepes: The sauce is Argentinian, the crepes are French with a Swedish method, and, in just one bite, you’ve taken a culinary trip around the world while staying in the comforts of your own home. (via Dessert for two)
4. Dulce De Leche Gooey Bars: We’ve never seen a table of cookies that we willingly bypassed. Sandwich dulce de leche between the sugar variety and we instantly become cookie monsters IRL. (via Crazy for Crust)
6. Dulce de Leche Crepe Cake: This crepe cake is almost (almost) too beautiful to eat. Take a picture before slicing in, so you’ll remember how perfection looked before you tasted it. (via Honestly Yum)
7. Dulce de Leche Apple Hand Pies: For these adorable (and portable) hand pies, all you need is four, we repeat, four ingredients. Dulce de leche is baked inside, but we approve giving it an additional drizzle on top. (via Easy and Delish)
9. Dulce de Leche French Toast: Anytime a breakfast item can double as dessert, you know that you’re onto something good. Take those egg-soaked bread slices out of the pan and serve them up with whipped cream and dulce de leche. (via Bluegrass Bites)
13. Five Ingredient Dulce de Leche Ice Cream: Creamy and OH-SO-dreamy ice cream is *always* a good idea. We suggest adding some dulce de leche to the tip of the cone for an unexpected treat. (via Treats and Trends)
Follow us on Pinterest for more decadent dessert ideas!