Outerwear is an obvious must once temps start to take a dive. While we love ourselves an oversized wool sweater and chic leather jacket, there are so many other stylish toppers out there to keep you toasty this season. Our personal fave? The cape. The effortless piece has come a long way since your pre-K days, with sophisticated silhouettes, colors and prints that turn up any outfit like that, not to mention that they’re great for those days when the weather is all over the place, wavering between a balmy 70 degrees and near-freezing in true fall form. If you’re ready to hop on the cape train, these 10 styles are the perfect place to start.
1. BCBG Walker Color-Blocked Wool Jacquard Cape ($368): With bold colors, warm wool and a high-low hemline, this ’70s-inspired piece is what we like to call the perfect fall cape.
3. Babaton Archie Poncho ($298): Fight back against your too-cool cubical with a modern topper that brings the heat. For an added element of polish, layer on a sleek belt.
4. Lavish Alice Collarless Cape Blazer in Lipstick Red ($97): A fave of the fashion set, this Lavish Alice number is about to change the way you handle the whole blazer thing.
5. Paisie Will Poncho in Geometric Pattern Knit ($159): Even when you’re keeping it under wraps, there’s no denying your on-point sense of style, and this bright geometric number proves it.
6. Alice & UO Cloclo Cape Jacket ($128): This sweet, swingy cape is the ideal piece for when you want to infuse everyday separates with a playful, feminine edge.
8. Y.A.S. Mag Poncho ($45): For the Cali girl at heart who just can’t let go of summer, this fringe blanket is the closest thing you can get to cuddling up next to a beach bonfire once the leaves start to turn.
9. ASOS Knitted Cape in Multi Block ($54): This luxe knitted cape will come in handy all year round, seeing you through the golden days of fall straight until the first signs of spring in effortless style. Plus, the neutral hues mean it’ll go with just about everything in your closet — what more could you ask for?
10. Stansberry Wool Cape ($78): This two-toned cape is the epitome of chic (when has the color combo of black and camel ever let us down?). Plus, its blanket-style cut makes it super versatile: Wear it around your shoulders to add some eclectic flair to an LBD or wrap it around and around over a twill peacoat when you need to layer like a boss.
Are capes your favorite fall layer? Tell us in the comments below.