15 Fall Wardrobe Must-Haves That Will Make You Stop Missing Summer
It’s hard to let go of all that fab summer fashion, especially when pieces like gladiator sandals, button-front skirts and rompers count themselves among the ranks. Luckily your fave pieces are being followed up with equally as on-point styles that will soon make you forget about your end-of-summer woes. From boho frocks to lace-up steppers and folksy florals, this is what your warm-weather standbys become this fall.
1. Flowy Bow-Neck Blouses ($40): Off-the-shoulder tops were all the rage this summer, and that carefree, feminine vibe has made its way into the new season, albeit with more modest proportions. Enter the boho bow-neck blouse. Both classic and elegant, it boasts some serious throwback vibes, ranging from sophisticated Victorian to ’70s chic. Pair it up with the rest of your summer faves, like a suede skirt, denim midi, overalls and more for an arsenal of autumnal looks.
2. Menswear Kicks ($155): Okay, sure: The classic sandal held its own during the warm-weather months, but we definitely had our eyes on a fair number of “ugly” steppers. With temps taking a plunge, sandals are far from our minds, but what’s risen up in the midst is a whole hoard of borrowed-from-the-boys kicks keen to infuse any and every outfit with an androgynous edge. Platform oxfords and pointed-toe loafers like these will be taking up residence in our wardrobes stat.
3. Boho Frocks ($238): Maxi dresses are a hero piece in hot weather, and the cooler months have just met their match: its long-sleeved boho cousin. Soft, feminine and totally free-wheelin’, these fabulous frocks are sure to become a fave. They’re a one-and-done look — what’s not to love?
4. High-Rise Tops ($51): ’90s-inspired silhouettes managed to sneak their way in amongst the barrage of disco-era duds, with pieces like high-neck halter tops and dresses making a big statement. For fall, we’re taking the high-neck look and amping it up, with oversized turtlenecks and throwback mock-necks in seventies stripes.
5. Folk Art Prints ($158): If you rocked your fair share of palm prints and bright florals all summer long, meet your new fall fave: folklore prints. From illustrated botanical patterns to embroidery and storybook-inspired prints, they capture the moody feel of fall perfectly.
6. Suede Jackets ($149): The go-to topper from May to August? A denim number, of course. But when layers become a must, it’s all about that suede, baby. Synonymous with fall, the super-soft fabric packs plenty of classic appeal when paired with nine-to-five staples like tailored trousers and a structured top, transitioning beautifully to a boho aesthetic with flowy dresses and wide leg pants.
7. Elevated Backpacks ($395): With the sun shining and the brilliant rays warming your skin, there’s no need to tote around a larger-than-life sac. But as we all know, the transition between summer and fall can mean just about anything, so being prepared is key. A backpack fits right in this season with the whole back-to-school thing, plus it boasts plenty of room for an umbrella, an extra layer and all of your other workweek must-haves.
8. Cozy Capes and Ponchos ($150): Unless you’re lucky enough to live in a tropical climate, you’ve probably ditched that beach coverup by now. If you’ve started feeling summer withdrawal syndrome, we have the perfect solution. A cape has that laid-back silhouette you love, but knit fabrics make it the ultimate extra layer.
9. Lace-Up Booties ($81): Fashion-loving femmes everywhere looked to the past this summer, stepping out in gladiator sandals as soon as Memorial Day hit. The much-loved lace-up style is sticking around for fall, getting a grownup upgrade with luxe materials, sassy prints and sexy heels.
10. Wool Berets ($34): From warding off the sun’s rays to keeping your head toasty in the face of biting winds, there’s no arguing that the hat is one accessory with plenty of utility. As straw fedoras and floppy styles head back into hibernation, another topper takes its place in the spotlight: the woolen beret. Sure, it might seem a little bit preppy, but when positioned to frame the crown of the head, there’s no denying its sartorial appeal.
11. Classy Culottes ($76): The onset of autumn doesn’t have to mean packing away summer staples like shorts (there is that whole sheers and shorts thing), but with a slew of sleek, new pieces to choose from, we say embrace both seasons. Culottes are the perfect compromise, offering a shorter hemline and coverage.
12. Suede Midi ($126): Suede skirts drop the hem for a more fall-appropriate feel, while a peek-a-boo slit is all you need to show off those gorgeous gams.
13. Statement Sneakers ($64): Say so long to sporty sliders and hello to bold and bright trainers with look-at-me flair. Pair them up with polished separates for an athleisure ensemble or take them off-duty with boyfriend jeans and a bomber jacket.
14. Longline Dusters ($135): Lightweight kimonos simply won’t cut it as an outer layer in cooler temps, but if you’re a fan of the longline silhouette, a duster jacket is the way to go.
15. Playful Overalls ($148): We’re sad to see rompers go, but overalls and sassy jumpsuits make it all OK. Trainers and tees will play up the piece’s tomboy vibe, but to take things to the next level, look to luxe knits and heels.
What summer staples will you be upgrading this season? Tell us in the comments!