16 Reasons to Give Up Heels This Fall
From the runway to the streets and our favorite shops, it’s become pretty clear that the menswear-inspired trend is here to stay. Even if oversized, boxy and masculine silhouettes aren’t your thing, borrowed-from-the-boys shoe styles like loafers, oxfords and derby kicks are timeless and can easily be incorporated into any style. Cut the sweetness of a flirty, floral frock with high-shine pointed-toe oxfords or add a modern edge to an understated jumpsuit with a pair of sleek slip-ons — really, the possibilities are endless. And these 16 pairs are the perfect place to start.
1. Zara Combined Leather Flat Shoes ($119): Why settle for a basic pair of black brogues when you can wear these next-level beauties? It’s all about the details with these kicks — a slightly pointed toe, stacked heel and scalloped edge upper add a touch of feminine flair that would spruce up your go-to work pants easily.
2. Forever21 Faux Leather Loafer ($25): Fall’s answer to the slide sandal is the slip-on loafer. An of-the-moment alternative to the timeless original, they’ll take everything from destroyed boyfriend jeans to pinafore dresses to the next level.
3. ASOS My Oh My Lace Up Flat Shoes ($48): Between cutouts and a cool copper-colored upper, there isn’t much to not love about these modern brogues. Wear them off duty with cropped jeans and a chic knit or style them for the office with a midi skirt and classic button-down.
4. Zara Flat Leather Shoes with Studs ($50): The next time you’re looking to channel your inner French girl, start with the shoes, not the stripes! Just thinking about these studded slippers with slim-fit denim, a sleek smoking jacket + bow-neck blouse makes us go ooh-la-la!
5. ASOS Minkie Loafers ($51): When your outfit needs a touch of sophistication, these tortoiseshell loafers will do the trick. Oversized sweaters, turtlenecks and flowy midi skirts are practically begging to be paired up with this spotted pair.
6. Dieppa Restrepo Lupe Metallic Leather Brogues ($138): A little bit ankle boot, a little bit brogue, these metallic purple steppers are ready to turn your wardrobe on its head. Take them along on your next night out, pairing them up with a printed mini or a flowy frock.
7. Charles & Keith Tassel Loafers ($40): With their high-shine finish and gilded accents, these sleek stunners mean business. Need a boost to get you through your next presentation? This pair has #Girlboss written all over it.
8. Everlane Leather Street Shoe ($135): With joggers, these comfy street shoes have an undeniable athleisure appeal, but they can clean up really nicely too. Take ’em for a spin with a structured jackets and (faux) leather pants.
9. Rogues Sherbert Shoes ($242): Embrace some of that fall spirit with delicious orange steppers. To really make them pop, toss ’em on with dark denim and cool pastels.
10. Anne Thomas Jackson Derby ($335): This marbled, oil-slick leather in a rich shade of blue offers a refreshing alternative to the classic derby shoe. Style them with mustard trousers and a structured, oversized top for a getup that commands attention.
11. Marc Fisher IDRI Cap Toe Loafer ($100): Glam and loafer doesn’t usually go hand in hand, but these metallic cap-toes have just made it a thing. The warm pewter hue is ideal for fall and can effortlessly be incorporated into just about any ensemble.
12. ASOS Mambo Flat Shoes ($36): There’s no rule that says you have to don a pair pumps on a big night out on the town. These quicksilver kicks will keep you looking fly and keep your feet happy while you’re letting loose on the dance floor.
13. Glamorous Black Patent Zip Front Mannish Shoes ($78): Patent leather always feels polished, making it perfect for the office and after hours. Take note, busy girls: Rock them with a structured suit Monday through Friday, then jazz things up for drinks with friends with shimmery trousers or a psychedelic PVC skirt.
14. H&M Satin Loafers ($35): With both satin and patent leather components, this navy number is all-out class — perfect for those times when you want to make a statement without going over the top.
15. SixtySeven Harper Platform Oxfords ($169): Loafers, meet the 21st century. What makes them so special, you ask? That chunky, razor cut sole is what — it has some serious attitude. Whip these bad boys out when you want to toughen up a feminine getup.
16. Kelsi Dagger Brooklyn Virginia Slingback Mule ($130): Two fabulous silhouettes — the mule and the slingback — come together to create the ultimate on- and off-duty shoe. Start consoling your fave sneakers, because they’re about to be ousted for this effortless set.
How would you style your menswear-inspired kicks? Tell us in the comments!