We’ve scoured the country from coast to coast in search of unique, weird and downright crazy food-truck cuisine. Grab your keys, your friends and unlock your taste buds as you hit the great American highways and byways. Road trip your way from truck to truck savoring what they’re dishing out: Love balls, Fi-Yo for fido and donuts like you’ve never imagined them before. What are you waiting for? Go and taste something crazy!
1. Takoyaki Love Balls: What exactly is a Love Ball? We’d take our guesses, but it’s better to be advised by the experts dishing them out in Austin, TX. The Love Bus rolled into town to dish out typical Japanese street food, takoyaki: A fried pancake ball filled with octopus, pickled ginger and green onions, drizzled with takoyaki sauce, kewpie mayo, aonori and bonito flakes. (via Love Balls Bus)
2. Lobster Macaroni and Cheese: Check out this lobstah shack on wheels. Not only is it sustainable, but it’s dishing out lobster from NYC to DC. Get your hands around a buttery lobster roll, live lobster or this decadently lobster-adorned mac and cheese. (via Red Hook Lobster Truck)
3. Margherita Pizza: There’s nothing too crazy about classic Neapolitan pizza, besides the fact that it tastes CRAZY good. What’s crazy? This Neapolitan pizza is wood fired from a transatlantic shipping container on wheels! (via Del Popolo)
4. Bear Dog: Cracker Jacks and whhaaaaat on a hot dog? The Phoenix-based, dog-loving Short Leash Hot Dog Truck is dishing out a dog (in a bun) adorned with Cracker Jacks, peanut butter, smoked gouda, bacon and BBQ sauce. (via Short Leash Hot Dogs)
6. Apple Bacon Gorgonzola Waffle Cake: Quit your wafflin’ and bite into this masterpiece: A buttery, flaky, waffle dessert topped with Granny Smith apples, creamy Gorgonzola, whipped cream, pecans, bacon and cherry balsamic mist… ohhhh balsamic mist! (via Waffle Cakes)
7. Deconstructed Samosa: Like a tasty science experiment on wheels, this truck’s serving Indian street food like you’ve never imagined! Take the deconstructed samosa, filled with garbanzos, pico, an array of chutneys, “secret” green sauce, zingy tamarind, tomatoes and red onion all piled atop a smashed samosa. Don’t forget to top yours off with chicken, beef, pork belly, lamb, paneer or tofu. (via Curry Up Now)
8. Crawfish Beignet: Believe it or not, there’s soul food in Seattle. Get your Cajun fix at Jemil’s. He’s dishing out po’boys, etouffèe and, if you’re lucky, a crawfish beignet on special. (via Jemil’s Big Easy)
9. Boss Hog Doughnut: Is it a doughnut or is it a meal? Well, at Gourdough’s, they eat like a meal. The boss hog is a handmade doughnut topped with pulled pork, potato salad and drizzled with honey BBQ sauce. Have a sweet tooth? Check out the Funky Monkey topped with grilled bananas and brown sugar. (via Gourdoughs Big Fat Doughnuts)
10. Ice Cream Sammies: Spanning from LA–>NYC, Coolhaus is scooping up the COOL-est ice cream sandwiches you can get your hands on. Select your cookie like the Potato Chip + Butterscotch or Vegan Chocolate Truffle Banana. Choose your ice cream… Peking duck, anyone? For reals, it’s Peking duck skin and fortune-cookie crumble in a Chinese five-spice ice cream with plum-sauce swirl. Still hungry? Bite into the edible wrapper. (via Coolhaus)
11. Frozen Hot Chocolate: It’s HOT, HOT, HOT in Miami, so why not cool off with a frozen hot chocolate? Hip Pops is cooling patrons off with all natural, frozen desserts that follow the old-world tradition of Italian gelaterias. (via Hip Pops)
12. Fi-Yo: A bone-a-fide, gourmutt food truck for dogs, Chicago-based Fido to Go is dishing out frozen yogurt treats and homemade cookies all for pups. Your furry friend will drool over the flavors like Salmon Fi-Yo, Lamb Asiago or Bacon Cheeseburger. (via Fido To Go)
What crazy eats are rolling through your town? Share below!