17 Style-Savvy Ways to Flaunt Stars + Stripes This 4th of July
As the Fourth of July invites start piling up (think: backyard barbecues and picnics galore), you’re going to need some serious outfit inspo to kick your off-duty style into high gear. Depending on your agenda for the three-day weekend, you could find yourself rocking anything from a poolside-friendly, patriotic one-piece to a sleek, star-printed midi dress. The key here is to pick one holiday-centric statement piece and then tone down the rest of the evening’s ensemble. You don’t have to flaunt stars, stripes AND red, white and blue to show off your pride — especially when you have a fashion rep to protect. We know you want to avoid twinning hard with Lady Liberty, and we’ve got you covered with 17 cool girl-approved ways to wear red, white and blue mixed with a few stars and stripes. Channel your inner all-American girl with these summer style essentials that can be worn on the Fourth (and beyond).
1. ASOS Jeanie Two Pack Espadrilles ($29): Get the most bang for your buck with these extra festive espadrilles that scream US of A. You get two pairs (one striped, one printed with stars), so you can mix-and-match ‘em for endless #OOTDs or share ‘em with a bestie for daytime twinning.
2. Solid & Striped The Anne-Marie Scoop Swimsuit ($168): Watch out, Gigi Hadid — there’s a new It girl in town! Enter the celebrity-approved swimsuit that will have you reaching influencer status before you know it. Style this horizontal red, white and sky blue striped swimsuit with pool slides and an oversized chambray shirt as you soak up rays on your upcoming beach vacay.
3. Nila Anthony Grand Old Crossbody Bag ($48): Don’t be that girl who’s too cool for stars and stripes. Show your support for Team USA with this hands-free American flag crossbody bag that will have them ALL talking. Besides, who needs fireworks when your bag swag is this fierce (and sparkly)?
4. Boohoo Petite Star Print Denim Shorts ($29): Make America chic again with these star-studded denim cutoffs that demand attention. Throw in an embroidered peasant blouse and white canvas sneaks for a daytime casual look tailor-made for hitting up a parade with the fam or grilling burgers at your own backyard shindig.
5. BaubleBar Starry Avatar Cuff ($36): A little bling goes a long way when it comes to kicking your Fourth of July outfit up a notch (or two). Complement your navy silk maxi or red striped romper with this enchanting gold star cuff that transitions from a.m. to p.m. like that.
6. Kule The Modern Tee ($88): Preppy enthusiasts, rejoice! Since sporting stripes all day err’day is already kind of your jam, you won’t have any trouble incorporating this Breton striped shirt into your arsenal of tomboy-chic essentials. For max perfection, don’t hesitate to pair it with a denim button-front skirt and streamlined d’Orsay flats.
7. Loeffler Randall Starla Ankle Wrap Sandal ($195): Stop what you’re doing and add these Loeffler Randall beauties to your need-it-now list. They’re worth every penny. Whether you’re decked out in your country’s colors or opt for simple nautical stripes, the dreamy gold stars will serve as an exclamation point to every summer look.
8. Free People Opal Bar Ear Jacket ($198): Can you say DDG? Not only will these stunning 14K gold dangling star earrings — complete with opal studs — add a little extra somethin’ somethin’ to your BBQ getup, but they’ll straight-up slay after hours. They’re also a shoo-in for every summer soiree, black-tie wedding and date-night function on your iCal.
9. Pixie Market Preston Strappy Off the Shoulder Top ($95): It wouldn’t be an epic Fourth of July bash without some serious off-the-shoulder action. Not only will this flirty pale blue striped number keep you cool with bell sleeves, but it’s sure to turn some heads (hello, hottie by the grill).
10. Forever 21 Heart-Shaped Sunglasses ($8): At less than $10 per pair, these American flag-inspired sunnies are a steal. Between poolside candids and Snapchat takeovers, these Insta-approved heart-shaped shades won’t go unnoticed.
11. Truly Madly Deeply Stars + Stripes Swing Tank Top ($29): A glamping trip with your squad calls for a slew of effortless basics that can endure long hours in the sun (and then some). Consider this easy-breezy, swingy tank top featuring a stars and stripes motif to be your new hero piece in disguise.
12. Front Row Shop Star Print Knot Detail Dress ($73): Maybe you’re meeting your S.O.’s parents for the first time, or perhaps you’re having Sunday brunch with the girls. Either way, a t-shirt and cutoffs isn’t going to cut it. Dress to impress with this HR-approved red and blue star-printed midi dress with Parisian flair. The flattering silhouette and playful knot detail in the front are guaranteed to make an entrance when teamed with sensible mules and dangling statement earrings.
13. American Apparel US Flag Cotton Spandex Short Sleeve Double V Bodysuit ($38): Take it there with this neck-plunging American flag bodysuit that’s more than just a little racy. Slip it on with your favorite vintage Levis and a baseball cap for a laid-back-chic ensemble that can pull double duty for the Summer Olympics.
14. Missguided Ribbed Frill Stripe Bardot Crop Top ($24): Cue the frills with this striped Bardot-inspired crop top that brings the summer romance. Between the ruffles and the sultry off-the-shoulder silhouette, you won’t have any trouble standing out this Independence Day.
15. Topshop Copenhagen Lace-Up Trainers ($44): Yeezy ain’t got nothing on you! Usher in an athleisure look with these white lace-up trainers that were made for running a 5K or just laying low by the hammock. Just think how fly you’ll look parading those metallic star-adorned kicks around town with a crop top and denim overall shorts.
16. Topshop Star Print Shirt ($70): An Independence Day look with a rocker ‘tude? We’re so down. Ditch the traditional stars and stripes for this whimsical star print blouse that would do Alexa Chung proud. Team it with black distressed shorts and Converse trainers or wear it as a bikini cover-up for endless fun in the sun.
17. Madewell Striped Overlay Maxi Skirt ($110): Keep the outfit blahs away with this Montauk-bound striped maxi skirt that can be styled a million and one ways. Trust us: Your jam-packed schedule of Fourth of July festivities will thank you as you proceed to pair with a cold-shoulder blouse, a tie-front bikini top or a casual v-neck tee.
What will you wear to celebrate the Fourth? Follow us on Pinterest for more summer style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.