23 Comfy and Stylish Ways to Celebrate National Hammock Day
Thank goodness for hammocks. Seriously — our lazy summer days would be a lot less fun without the comfortable loungers. And what better time to pay tribute to the most relaxing seating ever invented than today, National Hammock Day? Whether you choose to buy or DIY your hammock chair, this is the one crazy summer essential you can’t pass up. Say goodbye to perching on stiff daybeds and teeny tiny ottomans and hello to hanging in one of these 23 luxurious alternatives.
1. DIY Swinging Hammock Chair: Show off your artsy side with this creative project involving canvas cloth, wooden dowels and fabric paint. Once your colorful design has dried and your chair is secured, grab a cocktail and your favorite book and plop into your stylish new seat! (via Brit + Co)
2. DIY Rainbow Tie Dye Hammock: This mesmerizing rainbow hammock actually started out as a plain white one — no joke! If you’re blown away by this transformative DIY, try your hand at it using any basic cotton rope hammock and an array of fabric dyes. Go for a classic rainbow-dyed look or consider a vibrant ombre. (via Studio DIY)
3. Overstock Multicolored Hammock ($74): If you’re totally digging the colors but want to cut down on the steps, consider buying a multicolored hammock. You might miss out on the DIY fun, but once you climb into your new colorful hanging bed, chances are you’ll feel just fine.
4. Anthropologie Fringed Macrame Hammock ($128): Long-hanging metallic fringe detail gives this macrame hammock a truly unique look. Couple it with a few plush throw pillows and there’ll be nothing stopping you from sliding into this serene sling.
5. Dot & Bo Guanajuato Hammock ($29): Looking for bright and bold? This hammock’s got ’em in spades. Despite its vibrant colored stripes, this lounger is all about that *relaxation*.
6. DIY Blue Hammock Chair: A throw blanket is tough competition when it comes to gettin’ cozy — unless you use that throw to make a hammock! Once you fasten your DIY hammock chair to a sturdy branch outdoors, you’re all set to sink into the forever coziness. (via A Crafty Mix)
7. Algoma Reversible Quilted Hammock ($163): This dual-sided hammock promises you won’t get stuck with one pattern. One side features preppy stripes and the other a solid green, giving you two different looks to choose from. Aside from its reversibility, this lounging pad is weather resistant and softly quilted.
8. Algoma Sunbrella Cushion Hanging Chair ($146): Expect this brilliant melon-colored hanging chair to stay just as vibrant for years to come. It’s made of Sunbrella fabric that resists fading and UV rays, so there’s no stopping this cute li’l chair from shining bright.
9. Anthropologie Canyon Fringe Hammock ($118): Available in four shades, this woven hammock boasts a gorgeous netted fringe design. Its cotton material ensures you’ll be kicking back in ultimate comfort.
10. Yellow Leaf Hammocks Classic Double Hammock ($199): You won’t have to trade style for comfort in this edgy and chic hanging lounger. Though the hammock’s black and white stripes give a nod to minimalism, the bright pop of aqua blue lends an undeniably modern finish.
11. DIY Hammock: This canvas drop cloth hammock gets a cozy upgrade with yarn tassel fringe along the edges. Though it’s killin’ the neutral minimalist look, you can always brighten it up with a touch of fabric paint. (via The Merrythought)
12. DIY Hanging Hammock Chair: Inspired by a $2,000+ hammock, this DIY provides an affordable option for bringing that sleek design to your home. Instead of leather, opt for a cheaper alternative like vinyl fabric that’s just as soft but more durable. (via The Chronicles of Home)
13. DIY Two-Tone Sail Rope Hammock: If you’re up for a challenge, take on this project that’ll put your weaving chops to the test. Using hammock rope and colored sailing rope, weave the two together for this unique look. Though it takes awhile, this DIY makes up for it with its budget-friendly cost (about $22!). (via Design Milk)
14. Do Good Hammock ($195): Who knew making a difference in the world could help you rest so easy? By purchasing this beautiful hanging hideaway, you’ll support the Mlabri people of Thailand who wove it by hand. It doesn’t hurt that this hammock’s rich colors instantly brighten up any space.
15. Do Good Hanging Chair ($175): Doing good really does feel good! Your purchase of this adorable soft-sided hammock chair will contribute to helping the Mlabri rebuild their community. In addition to its comfortable design, this durable hammock can support up to 300 pounds.
17. Hammaka Brazilian Style Hammock With Spreader Bars ($64): The Hammaka Hammock claims it’ll be “the favorite hang out spot in the house,” and with good reason. The fun striped pattern combined with its comfortable, durable design make this lounging option so much more relaxing than any sofa.
18. Overstock Quilted Fabric Hammock ($220): Set up this quilted hammock in the shade of a couple of trees, and you’ll be chilling in paradise. Cue the summer breeze and drift away in this outdoor must-have.
19. Macy’s Pillowtop Royal Red Stripe Hammock ($600): This hammock comes in a variety of colors, but there’s no turning away from this fiery shade. Once you set this beauty on your porch or patio, it’ll be more than just a place to lounge — it’s guaranteed to become your space’s new focal point.
20. Algoma Fabric Hammock Kingston Stripe ($120): There’s no doubt this spacious 13-foot fabric hammock will be a hit at all your backyard get-togethers. Though it fits two at a time, you’ll want to make sure people rotate out; there’s always that one friend who just doesn’t want to give up their spot. ;)
21. Anthropologie Beaded Jute Hammock ($148): Two arts combine in this one-of-a-kind hammock inspired by jute crafting and beading. Its natural fiber material and multicolored beads make this relaxing swing an essential for your next island getaway.
22. Fermob Osmose Hammock ($2,661): Bet you haven’t seen anything like this before. This unique hoop-shaped hammock is self-supporting, mobile, light and comfortable. In other words, it’s the pinnacle of hammock technology!
23. DIY Lazy Day Hammock: The project may be called a “lazy day hammock,” but there’s nothing lazy about its dreamy bohemian design. Get the look by pairing simple muslin with a lace trim. (via Camille Styles)
How are you celebrating National Hammock Day? For more fun summer inspo, check us out on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)