When it comes to app downloading, you’re looking for the best and most recently-updated apps of the week, and what better way to do that than with an app that’s all about FINDING new and cool apps?! That exists and we’re about to tell you about it. If that idea made your brain explode, no worries, because we will still be finding you the best of the best each week in this roundup we like to call What’s Appening. We can’t let robots take over our jobs just yet, now can we? Actually, maybe, since one of the apps I’m going to tell you about is all about creating robots. Yikes. Happy DLing, app lovers!
1. Soulcycle: If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound? If a successful company doesn’t have an app, does it actually exist? We could sit around and flex our Philosophy minor for a good 15 min or so more, but let’s talk about the new SoulCycle app instead. The just-launched iPhone download lets you scope out instructors, book bikes and bookmark favorite classes so you’re at the front of the Monday signup line. It’s a mobile must for devotees of the spinning cult and a growing requirement for fitness companies.
DL It: Free on iOS
2. Photojojo Disposable Camera: As much as we celebrate each megapixel upgrade on our smartphones, we love and miss the days when we were excited and challenged to fill up a disposable roll. Our friends at Photojojo, makers of crazy cool camera stuff, created a photo app like no other that combines the two and brings on the nostalgia big time — at half the cost. Instead of having to fork over dough for a disposable camera and then to get the photos you took developed, pay just $12.99 for a virtual version and Photojojo will actually mail you your physical prints once you have filled the roll with 27 shots. And no, you don’t get to see the snaps you take ‘til you receive them in the mail.
DL It: Free on iOS, $12.99 for each “camera”
3. AppSlinger: “The Tinder for X” will never get old as long as the application of the swipe function makes sense in said app. Here, things get a little meta where you use the left for nope, right for yaasss to explore new (free!) games and apps in the Play Store.
DL It: Free on Android
4. HBO Now: Winter may not be coming, but spring is here and so is the new season of Game of Thrones and Veep, MotherAppers! Sure, you can stream HBO on your television with your parents’ password, but you could also take it to go now with this must-DL app that turns any iOS device into all the TV you really need.
DL It: Free on iOS
5. Robot Factory: Once in a while I try to slip in one for the kids, but this one will also be a winner with the kids at heart. In this artful app, you build robots with 50+ crazy cool parts, letting them come to life with nine different color palettes and even giving them a voice before you send them out into Robot Factory’s virtual world to see if they’ll survive the game’s obstacles. If you’ve already fallen in love with the game’s aesthetic, you have good taste. The latest from TinyBop was illustrated by Owen Davey, the man behind one of our favorites, Two Dots.
DL It: $2.99 on iOS
What was the last app you downloaded? Share below!