5 Decor Trends the Pros Want to Die in 2019
One of our favorite things about welcoming in the new year (besides the Champagne, of course) is getting ready to refresh our lives with all the latest new looks. We’re ready to put 2018 behind us, and we’re not the only ones: Homepolish Interior Designer Haley Weidenbaum is looking forward to the future and clueing us in on which buzzy decor trends will *not* be making an appearance in 2019. Here are her top picks to leave behind in 2018.
1. All-Brass or All-Chrome Finishes: Good news: If you were waiting for official permission to mix metals, this is it. “Going all brass or all chrome can seem too trendy,” says Weidenbaum. In 2019, take a cue from her and try swapping out some fixtures (especially in the kitchen) to create a fresh, modern look. “Mixing different metals can help you maintain a timeless design,” she says.
2. Industrial Materials: Forget about those sleek, cold surfaces and start the new year by getting back to nature. “Sisal and jute are making a big comeback and are here to stay in 2019,” Weidenbaum says. “These materials represent a handmade quality and add an element of craftsmanship to any space.” Try testing out the trend with a sisal rug to warm up tile floors, and then go from there.
3. Stark Design: On that note, it’s time to channel coziness and texture throughout your home this year, not the minimalist, stark, and bare look. “The term hygge might be overused, but the practice of hygge will never go out of style,” asserts Weidenbaum. “Humans crave a comfortable, warm space in their homes, so I expect to continue to see cozy designs in 2019.”
4. White Walls: Sorry, strict minimalists. “Walls were white for so long, and now, paints in rich hues are set to become popular in 2019,” Weidenbaum tells us. “Whether full rooms or accent walls, the introduction of a dark jewel tone feels warm and welcoming while adding an extra layer of luxury and texture to the space.” Um, you don’t need to tell us twice… we’re already obsessed with those trendy jewel tones.
5. Basic Bathroom Tile: Goodbye, basic tile. If you’ve never given much thought to your home’s tile before, now is the time to rethink that. “Next year, you’ll probably see tile everywhere on your Instagram feed,” Weidenbaum predicts, but it’s going to be fresh and unexpected. “Whether used on the walls or floor, a combination of tiles creates new patterns and shapes, and it’s this customization that will fuel self-expression and creativity in 2019.” We’re already starting to see this come about with the introduction of textile-inspired tiles and patterned statement tiles that have been trending.
Looking for 2019 decor predictions? Follow us on Pinterest.
(Images via Nick Glimenakis and Dustin Halleck for Homepolish)