Attention, fashionistas! The next generation of the vampy lip trend has arrived. Members of the style-savvy crowd have been taking their sultry lip shades to a new, darker place, rocking ink black pigment on their puckers. From preparatory lip masks and expert-approved cosmetics to inspo from some of our favorite beauty mavens, here’s everything you need to get in the know on beauty’s latest trend in lips.
1. Lucy Hale: Lucy’s look here is flawless thanks to the natural makeup style accompanying her statement-making lip. Budding beauty mavens still testing the waters should opt out of an overly made-up look to ease into wearing the bold lip.
2. Sara Happ The Lip Scrub Lip Exfoliator ($24): Before applying a super-dark shade, it does wonders to exfoliate your lips. Richer pigments call for smoother surfaces to keep your shade even and longer-lasting.
3. Flirty Eyes: Another way to tone down the intensity of a way-dark black lip is to pair it with ultra-feminine eyes. The subtlest layer of cat-eye liner, a light coat of mascara and a delicate shimmer on your lids keeps things pretty but allows your pout to take center stage.
4. Nudestix Magnetic Luminous Eye Color Pencil ($24): Finding a neutral shade to complement your statement lips has never been simpler. These eye color pencils provide a touch of sparkle in your pick of many shades of nude.
5. Glossy Lip: A glossy lip color will resolve any issues that might arise from dry lips. The shine and texture work like magic to mask any irksome crinkles.
6. Tarte Tarteist Creamy Matte Lip Paint ($20): Matte lips have reigned supreme ever since the beauty trend blew up. The creamy formula of this lip paint is the perfect hybrid between lipstick and gloss.
7. Shay Mitchell: Choose your shade wisely based on your desired look, whether you want a true black or a near-black shade. This creamy matte shade of ultra-dark plum looks stunning against Shay’s glowing complexion.
8. Dior Addict Lipstick Hydra-Gel Core Mirror Shine ($35): This near-black lipstick in deep berry red can help ease your transition into the trend. The baby steps will be totally worth it when you see the perfection of this upgraded vampy lip.
9. Rihanna: Bad Gal Riri’s bold matte lip is the boldest part of her style statement. Fashionistas can accessorize their looks to be as loud or as subtle as they’d like.
10. Marc Jacobs Beauty Collector’s Edition Le Marc Lip Creme Lipstick ($30): The words “limited edition” never fail to pique interests from our beauty-loving hearts. For a go-to lip color that might become one of your classics, be sure to check out Marc Jacobs Beauty’s creme lipstick.
11. Let It Set: One other difficulty to avoid when dealing with a black lip color is the fading and flaking that can occur over the course of the day. You’ll want to keep the color on-hand to touch up your pucker to ensure long-lasting color.
12. NYX Cosmetics Studio Finishing Powder Translucent Finish ($10): Investing in a setting powder will help keep your lip color fresh for longer. You can never go wrong with a mineral powder, like this small compact from NYX.
13. Lily Collins: Who better to show us the way to fashionista-living than It-girl Lily Collins? Her vampy lip perfection is a total beauty goal (as is the rest of her red carpet-ready wardrobe).
14. Nyx Professional Makeup Mechanical Lip Pencil ($5): Lip liner is a must when defining the shapes of our pouts. Dabbling with an ultra-dark shade makes it extra important to keep things lined evenly — there’s nothing worse than a sloppy lip!
Now that you’ve gotten the scoop on the trendy black lip, show us your styles on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.