So you’ve labored over your tax return and good news: A refund is coming your way. While your brain might already be mulling over the many things you can buy with it, we’ve got a few ideas for you. First on our lists? A bucket-list trip or a trendy new gym membership that’ll keep you motivated and inspired throughout the year. Of course, you can’t go wrong with an upgrade on that old college mattress or luggage you’ve been holding onto for way too long. Either way you play it, investing in something you’ll enjoy for the months to come is what it’s all about. Keep scrolling down to see all our fun suggestions.
1. A Trip: You’ve been dreaming of backpacking through Europe, relaxing on a faraway beach, or filling your feed with Instagram-worthy getaways. So now’s the time to put that extra dough toward a flight, hotel, or both. Consider it an investment in new cultures and experiences that goes above and beyond anything you could buy in stores.
2. A More Reliable Phone Service: If you’re tired of dealing with dropped calls and spotty service, now’s the time to upgrade your digital life. By switching to Boost Mobile‘s super fast and reliable nationwide network, you’ll never have to think twice about streaming your favorite TV shows or sending your BFF live updates of that awkward online date. Their prepaid, unlimited text and data wireless plans are such a good bang for your buck that you’ll even have enough left over to splurge on a new phone.
3. A Comfy Mattress: Say buh-bye to that lumpy college mattress you’ve been getting by with for far too long. After all, a quality mattress is a great way to commit to your health and wellness. Whether you’re looking for a convenient mattress-in-a-box or a highly reviewed mattress from Amazon, your back (and bank account) will thank us for this one.
4. Cooking Lessons: Gift yourself a skill that will impress family, friends, and heck, even yourself! By signing up for cooking lessons at your local culinary school, you’ll be learning new things that’ll take you far beyond your comfort zone — and into the kitchen. You simply can’t put a price tag on that!
5. A Nice Blender: If you’ve been eyeing a nice Ninja NJ600 Blender ($90) to make all of your favorite shakes and smoothies, consider this your cue to click “purchase.” You can even opt to ball out with a Vitamix 7500 Machine ($530) because, with extra cash, you can!
6. Athletic Shoes: Whether you’re a marathon runner, or just hoping to up your gym time, a fancy new pair of athletic shoes will be your first step towards fitness success. Since these typically don’t run on the cheap, consider splurging on a pair with your tax refund. Our faves? The adidas Ultraboost Shoes ($180) or a fresh pair of Nike LunarGlide 9 Running Shoes ($120).
7. Meal Delivery Kit: Maybe you’ve dreamed of upping your dinner game for the months to come. If so, a meal delivery kit like HelloFresh ($10+ per meal) can get you there with little to no maintenance on your end. Their delicious, pre-made meals are fun to pick out, and even more fun to make. Plus, who doesn’t love skipping the grocery store and having a gourmet meal option delivered straight to their door?
8. Luggage: When it comes to travel, there’s nothing that makes a trip go smoother than a solid set of luggage. When it comes to purchasing the right set, you usually pay for what you get. Now, you can put your extra cash toward a high-end option, like the sleek Away The Bigger Carry-On ($245) that’s complete with high-tech features like a USB charging port and an unbreakable structure.
9. Concert Tickets: Have a band you can’t stop listening to or a festival you can’t wait to attend? Spend those extra bucks on a JT show or Coachella experience you won’t be able to forget. Or get a front row seat at an intimate Airbnb concert. And since you’re *technically* saving on the tickets, you can budget for a brand new concert outfit too.
10. Gym Membership: Here’s your chance to upgrade to an Equinox gym or splurge on some SoulCycle classes. No matter your workout of choice, you’ll have the added funds to make a high-end sweat sesh happen that you can enjoy — guilt-free!
What will you be spending your tax refund on? Let us know @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Photos via Getty)