No matter what the season, a hat is always a good idea. While you’ve probably packed away your beanies, it’s time to bust out that crop of stylish summer toppers that have been hiding out in your closet — think: trilbies, sweet straw numbers and floppy styles. The added sun protection is definitely a plus, but what we really love is how they pull an outfit together (and cover up a bad hair day, of course). Here is a week’s worth of #OOTDs to show you how to style a hat this season.
1. @sloppyelegance: A straw hat is a summer fave, and the perfect companion for a lightweight floral dress or a cheeky denim onesie. We love the slightly structured feel of Chelsea’s straw style with the navy ribbon and wider brim adding a classy, feminine vibe to the tried-and-true chapeau. (via @sloppyelegance)
2. @littleblackboots: Make your favorite topper go the extra mile by switching things up with unexpected add-ons. This flower crown and fedora combo is straight-up genius. Pair it with a pretty boho dress, and you’ve got a seriously on-point ensemble. (via @littleblackboots)
3. @elodieinparis: A colorful hat can make the rest of your outfit pop, especially if it boasts a similar hue. Elodie’s printed pink pants are made even more eye-catching thanks to the addition of a neon fedora. Want to draw the eye upward? Choose a style that isn’t just bright, but big and bold too. (via @elodieinparis)
4. @natalie_dressed: With so many fab floppy styles and chic fedoras to choose from, the good old baseball cap often gets overlooked. Despite the lack of hype, nothing beats this American classic when you need a little extra shade. Wear it with unexpected pieces like a leather jacket or flirty summer dress for a touch of tomboy cool. (via @natalie_dressed)
6. @carolinaengman: Who ever thought an old fisherman’s hat could look this good? Sometimes it’s just the element of surprise that makes an unlikely accessory work, and that’s just what Carolina’s chic, ladylike ensemble does for this hat. (via @carolinaengman)
7. @margoandme: Nothing says glam goddess quite like a wide-brimmed floppy hat. Whether your style is retro chic, Coachella babe or timeless and classic, pair them with stylish, oversized sunnies (which you can later whip off with dramatic effect — it’ll be great, promise) and stacked baubles to take your look to the next level. (via @margoandme)
What Insta style stars do you follow? Do you do an #ootd on the regular? Tell us in the comments below, and be sure to tag your pics with @britandco for a chance to be featured in next week’s post.