11 Bustier Tops You Would *Actually* Wear IRL
Mark our words: It’s not too late to make good on all those style resolutions you eagerly made on January 1. If there’s anything we took away from 2016, it’s to approach all upcoming trends with ZERO regrets. So what if you experience an occasional flop (or two) along the way — at least you were confident enough to step outside the sartorial box in the first place. Heck, we’re still thinking about all those WTF-worthy trends we wish we tried (cough, cough, corsets!) last season. But that’s where we put our foot down. If you thought the whole dresses over pants situation was bizarre, then the resurgence of bustier tops beyond the bedroom (say wha?) really shouldn’t come as any surprise. As it turns out, bustiers and corsets are actually primetime layering pieces in their own right (and we have the upcoming spring collections to thank for that). Toss them over a turtleneck, a button-down or even a sweatshirt for a runway-ready look that slays. Ahead, we’re sharing 11 bustier tops that put the va-va in the voom. Proceed to style ‘em like a Kardashian for no shortage of “aha” moments in the months to come.
3. Reclaimed Vintage Oversized Sweatshirt With Corset Detail ($83): Lazy girls, get excited! Take it to the streets with this oversized sweatshirt featuring an unexpected corset detail and dropped shoulders. The laid-back fit will make the prospect of rainy days that much more bearable (promise), especially with high-performance leggings and combat boots within reach.
4. Missguided Nude Corset Lace Up Crop Top ($27): When in doubt, ask yourself: How would Kylie Jenner style an OTT lace-up corset top? That’s almost a no-brainer. Besides wearing it on its own, we could see KyKy layering it over a plain white tee for a sisterly get-together or date night with Tyga, in which case, ankle strap steppers (or Yeezys) and her favorite lip tint will be in order.
5. H&M Satin Bustier ($30): Take tuxedo dressing to the next level with this satin bustier you probably thought was strictly black tie official. Could’ve fooled us. With a little imagination and HR’s cooperation, this after hours-approved piece can be teamed alongside a crisp white button-down, black culottes and penny loafers for a little extra boardroom flair.
6. Reclaimed Vintage Oversized T-Shirt With Corset Detail ($58): This season, bustier tops and corsets reign supreme. If you’re not sure where to start, take baby steps with this oversized t-shirt that does all the heavy lifting for you. Round out your athleisure look with streamlined track pants, Adidas Superstars and a longline puffer for an off-duty uniform.
7. LAVEER Button Up Bustier ($295): Tailored separates? We’re so there. Achieve the right balance between masculine and feminine with this burgundy button-up bustier that can do no wrong. For instant cool-girl appeal, reach for a black mock-neck sweater, a leather mini and tassel Oxfords for a getup that’s on the verge of hitting the town. Come spring, it can be used to cinch the waist of a floral maxi for some pre-Coachella flair.
8. H&M Bustier ($30): Can you count the ways to style a fancy bustier top? While your first instinct may be to reach for the satin trousers, here’s our advice: Don’t. Instead, opt for a work-ready shirt dress, fringe hem jeans and vampy steppers for a getup that’s anything but corporate.
9. Pixie Market Sweatshirt Bustier Shirt ($112): Let your trendsetting BFF think you came up with this brilliant pairing all on your own. We won’t tell. Kick a case of the outfit blahs to the curb by styling this twofer (part balloon sleeve shirt, part sweatshirt bustier) with some kick flares, backless mules and chandelier statement earrings. Day or night, work or play, expect to look nothing less than DDG when flaunting this hero piece around.
10. New Look Bustier Crop Top ($28): Though this bustier crop top looks just darling with a Cinderella-style tulle skirt, a little artful layering could easily take it to the next level. Dial it down with a simple striped turtleneck or up the traffic-stopping potential with a long sleeve printed dress and a streamlined trench.
11. Kimchi Blue Strappy-Back Bustier Top ($39): Let it be known: For all future layering purposes, this curve-enhancing bustier top will fit the bill just fine. Gear up for an upcoming GNO by layering it over a lightweight turtleneck and reaching for a pair of your beloved mom jeans — in which case, you know a leather moto jacket and mid-heel ankle boots are bound to be part of the equation.