Here’s How to Wear Green Lipstick (Really)
You probably reach for red, pink, or nude lipstick on the reg — these colors have earned their spots in your makeup bag for good reason. But green lipstick is having a major moment these days. We know what you're thinking: WHAT?! Hear us out: Kylie Jenner and Rihanna have both dropped matte green lipsticks in their cosmetic lines over the past six months, and they're seriously stunning.
Sure, green isn't exactly the easiest shade to wear on your lips — but that doesn't mean it's not doable. We hit up top makeup artists to find out how to pull it off without veering into Halloween territory.
1. Pick the right shade of green. Green is very bold — so choose a shade that complements your skin tone best. Olive is gorg on golden and warmer skin tones, while emerald is stunning on paler or cooler complexions, says Sophia Porter, Chicago-based hair and makeup expert. Kat Von D's army green shade would look amaze on warm skin, while Fenty Beauty Mattemoiselle Plush Matte Lipstick in Midnight Wasabi($18) would be a perfect match for cool skin.
2. Prep your pout first. Consider how you beautify your face: You have to do a little prep work before applying foundation; otherwise, you could end up with patchy coverage. Not ideal. The same holds true for your lips, especially if you're wearing something as bold as green. “The best way to get lips ready is to use a scrub, remove unwanted flakes, apply a serum or a tiny bit of glycerin to the bare lips, let that sink in, and apply lip balm," says Porter. Try fresh Sugar Lip Polish Exfoliator ($18), which buffs and moisturizes all in one shot. Once you've applied lip balm, hang tight! Let it sit while you apply the rest of your makeup, then wipe off any excess, suggests Porter.
3. Go slow. Liquid lipstick is often tricky to work with, so apply your green shade in thin layers until you reach the intensity you want, advises Porter. Got your hands on green lipstick in a tube? Sweet. All you have to do is tap it on with your fingers, building up the color until you're happy with it, explains Chris Lanston, celebrity makeup artist, who has worked with Brooklyn Decker, James Van Der Beek, and Bravo stars Lisa Vanderpump and Carole Radziwill.
4. Tone it down for daytime. For a daytime lewk, apply a neutral lip gloss on top of your green lipstick to tone things down, says Lanston. Try it with BareMinerals Gen Nude Buttercream Lipgloss($19).
5. Keep the rest of your makeup low-key. Green lipstick is going to get you a whole lotta attention, so embrace minimalism on the rest of your face. “If one wants to wear green lipstick during the day, definitely make sure to keep everything else minimal and the lips the focal point," says Porter. “Overdoing the eyes and cheeks can really offset the balance and create a very intense look that won't be flattering during the day." Lanston suggests pairing with simple black winged eyeliner.
Will you try the green lipstick trend? Let us know @BritandCo.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Photos via Jason Merritt/Getty Images for Clear Channel; Kat Von D)