If there’s an accessory in your closet that doesn’t get enough cred, it’s definitely the sock. Yup — we said it. And if you even have to question the merits of this everyday essential, then, girl, you need to check our sock street style guide. The understated accoutrement is one you probably don’t give a second thought to, but trust us — it’s a bona fide hero piece in disguise. In the time it takes to post your latest #OOTD (and likely even less), these bad boys will take your getup into full-on Instababe territory. The key, of course, is choosing the right pair, and if you ask us, the bolder they are, the better. Whether you’re having a love affair with flats or are currently calling OTK boots your one and only, there’s a pair of chic, statement-making socks for every pair of kicks in your closet. And to help you nail the look, we’re bringing you 10 cool combos that are ready to step up your style game like that. Scroll on to discover your new fave fall style essential.
1. Kelsi Dagger Brooklyn Kendall Platform Heel ($160) + Bonne Maison Florra Socks ($24): A little bit sweet and seriously ’70s chic, these bold platform heels are the closet staple you didn’t even know you needed. Add a touch of throwback flair to swingy midi skirts and sweater dresses by styling them up with flirty floral socks in a soft shade of peach. Swoon.
2. M4D3 Ocean Loafer ($130) + Out from Under Basic Trouser Sock ($14, pack of three): Girlboss on a mission is the sentiment these bright white steppers bring to mind. For a bold look that’s equal parts mod and cutting-edge cool, rock ’em with black and white printed socks and a streamlined jumpsuit. Minimalist hoops are non-negotiable.
3. Zara Suede Mid-Heel Shoes ($90) + ASOS Berry Fishnet Ankle Sock ($7): Fishnet socks — in a dramatic shade of burgundy, no less — are all you need to add a serious wow factor to any off-duty ensemble. Slip ’em into these pretty pink pumps, then proceed to pair with skinny jeans, a coatigan and a graphic tee for a look that serves up the perfect blend of classy and casual cool.
4. Nasty Gal Tibby Tapestry Boot ($108) + Urban Outfitters Basic Ribbed Trouser Sock ($12): Make of-the-moment ankle boots go the extra style mile with bold-and-bright socks that peek ever-so-slightly over the cuff. The touch is subtle, but the effect makes for max perfection.
5. Mango Contrast Heel Sandals ($70) + Topshop Houndstooth Print Ankle Socks ($6): Don’t pack your fave sandals away just yet. A stylish pair of socks will keep those summer dreams alive despite balmy beach days being long gone. Declare yourself queen of the night by popping these sculptural contrast heels on with houndstooth ankle socks that know what’s up. A metallic mini skirt is par for the course, as is a sleek metal choker with femme fatale edge.
6. COS Printed Leather Sneakers ($150) + Hansel from Basel Abstract Crew ($27): Street smarts take on new meaning with this duo on standby. Get in touch with your artsy side and take these abstract sneakers out for a test drive. Up the ante on your playin’-it-cool ensemble by adding geometric socks and a statement sweatshirt to the mix. Round out the look with a mini crossbody bag and relaxed denim for an afternoon spent scoping out fresh vinyl or strolling through the park.
7. Topshop Jinx Suede Mary Janes ($85) + Tintoretta Growing Flowers Socks ($15): So much YAAAS. Between harvest parties and dinner dates with bae, you’ll find any occasion to bust these bright orange beauties out. Before cold weather has you surrendering to tights, team ’em with these eye-catching socks that will effortlessly add a bit of extra oomph to your out-on-the-town #OOTD.
8. Intentionally Blank Franz Loafer Heel ($187) + Hue Sheer Anklet ($7): Who says down-to-business dressing has to be boring? Defy dress-code norms without falling out of line by jazzing up a pinstripe blazer and button-down with these look-at-me loafers. Sheer ankle socks lend a certain ooh-la-la allure while packing enough polish to keep inquisitive HR eyes at bay.
9. Charles & Keith Knee High Boots ($89) + Bonne Maison Carnation Crew Socks ($28): Knee-high boots can totally get in on the action too. Make ’em pop by pairing with playfully patterned socks that lend a little intrigue to turtleneck dresses and leather skirts.
10. Sam Edelman Hazel Pointy Toe Pump ($120) + Bonne Maison Ballerina Socks ($24): Runway ready is the only way to describe this whimsical combo. Do the whole ballet beautiful thing your way by styling up these dancer-like stockings with swoon-inducing suede pumps. Proceed to pair with an ethereal tulle dress styled in Instababe fashion over skinny jeans and a graphic tee.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.