Whether you’re a bonafide East Coast or West Coast babe, there are fall style rules that can be adopted from both coasts. Style wars aside, you can’t deny the influence of certain fashionable cities (cough, cough, NYC and LA) that deserve credit where it’s due. While sunny California is all about honing your personal style and stocking up on dialed-down basics (think: distressed jeans, utilitarian jackets and relaxed silhouettes), NYC is home to an all-black-err’thang aesthetic that means business. But don’t be mistaken, the styles being paraded around SoHo can vary from those spotted on the Upper East Side. We’re talking anything from downtown-grunge to polished-preppy, but always with a side of casual, ‘cause that’s how New Yorkers roll. We’ve done the double-tapping — here are 18 Instababes from both coasts that do fall style SO right. Follow in the footsteps of these fashionable ladies and you will be in more than good hands. Please excuse us while we take this as a sign to go shopping.
Menswear Trousers: Let’s be real — Leandra Medine could make it on either coast. Her style is just that versatile. Part preppy, part menswear-inspired and part eclectic, this man-repelling getup will make you want to ditch your blasé boardroom uniform. AKA, you best be styling your suede tassel loafers with ribbed socks and menswear-inspired trousers this season.
1. Topshop Check Mensy Peg Trousers ($80): Stuffy boardroom pant suits? Not on Anna Wintour’s busy watch. Keep on keepin’ on with these menswear-inspired peg trousers that have been tailored to your ultra-femme sensibilities. Teamed with kicky heeled loafers (during the day anyway — the Adidas Superstars can make an appearance later), these check print bottoms will straight-up slay with a cashmere sweater and pretty chandelier earrings.
Full Midi Skirt: Can you say on-point fall style? If only we could look half as good as Blair Eadie. Between her twirl-worthy midi skirt, timeless navy coat (those gold buttons!) and perfect waves, we’re all about channeling our inner sophisticate this season.
2. ASOS Ultimate Midi Prom in Floral Jacquard ($113): Whether you’re a fashion blogger or not, your fall capsule wardrobe deserves a floral jacquard midi skirt with this much around-the-clock appeal. Not just limited to after-hours, this stunner can be styled alongside a waxed field jacket, Breton stripes and Gucci-inspired backless mule loafers (you know the ones) for afternoon tea at the Plaza. Just add a crisp white button-down, a top-handle satchel and power pumps for a boardroom-ready getup.
Low Key Sweatshirt: Casual does not have to equate to sloppy. We’re low-key obsessed with this daytime casual #OOTD that’s so right now. Between the low-maintenance sweatshirt, commuter-friendly ballerinas and frayed denim flares — oh, and you can’t forget that fedora — we’re so down for making this our new fall uniform. *Inserts praise hands emoji here.*
3. Sub Urban Riot Slow Jams Pullover Sweatshirt ($49): Minimalist enthusiasts, unite! When it comes to making a statement this fall, don’t hesitate to let your fly sweatshirt do ALL the talking. It’s fleece-lined pullovers like this one that give off an enviable casual-cool downtown aesthetic. Before heavy wool toppers are mandatory, you best be layering your new hero piece over a thin turtleneck top or chambray shirt for a little extra warmth.
Gray Checked Mini: If wearing head-to-toe neutrals looks this chic, then we’re so down. Just you wait: New York gray may be in heavy rotation this season. The juxtaposition between this Instababe’s mini skirt and longline cardigan is straight-up #goals.
4. H&M Circle Skirt ($15): It’s true what they say: NYC girls are partial to a palette of neutrals, and for good reason. They go with everything! Don’t let this preppy checked skirt fool ya — it’s just as worthy of a prep school blazer as a slouchy sweatshirt and Chelsea boots. Style it either way for a look that won’t go unnoticed — just be forewarned; black tights or over-the-knee socks will be required once single-digit temps hit.
Navy Longline Coat: In lieu of black (been there, don’t that), why not make navy your new power color of the moment? Not only is this versatile hue way less dramatic, but it happens to look ah-mazing with winter whites and unassuming trainers.
5. Mango Lapels Wool Coat ($120): It’s no secret that NYC winters are borderline brutal. Hence the need for a heavy-duty topper that will keep you cozy even when you can barely feel your toes. Instead of predictable black (major snooze), opt for a versatile navy that pairs well with everything. *Adds to cart without hesitation.*
Floral Long-sleeved Dress: Confidence is key when it comes to this street style blogger’s look. She’s rocking that floral ruffle shoulder maxi dress (and gold boots) with so much panache. We digress.
6. H&M Crêpe Dress ($30): A don’t-mess-around calf-length dress will never steer you wrong, especially with off-duty sneakers in the equation. While the non-fussy silhouette is a shoo-in for long commutes, it’s the bold floral print that will lend just the right amount of visual interest to a bomber jacket or faux fur hooded utilitarian parka. All that’s missing is a mini leather backpack — and a coffee in hand — for a low-maintenance getup that says trying, but not trying too hard.
Bright Oversized Sweater: Introducing a classic NYC look that’s simple, yet SO chic. For the easiest outfit formula yet, style an oversized knit sweater in an attention-getting hue with skinny jeans and stiletto ankle booties. Done.
7. Vila Grow Cable Knit Jumper in Red ($35): When it comes to your knitwear of choice, the brighter and punchier, the better — all the more to stand out from the crowd, natch. Pair this eye-catching orange cable knit sweater with a camel coat, dark wash skinnies and commuter flats (what else?!) for a look that’s polished enough for Sunday brunch and weekend errands.
Grandpa-Style Sweater Coat: Step one to becoming a New Yorker: Invest in a knit beanie — preferably in a neutral — and proceed to style it alongside a grandpa-style sweater and leather riding boots. The rest will be history.
8. Madewell Structured Sweater-Coat ($188): Perfect your roll-out-of-bed-and-go routine with this sweater-turned-snuggly-coat in disguise that pairs exquisitely with everything from jeans and a knit beanie to a mini skirt and OTK boots. It promises to keep the nippy temps at bay without taking away from your tough-girl ‘tude. #Winning
Tie-Neck Blouse: This street style-inspired look checks all the boxes (and then some). We couldn’t have done it better if we tried. For a look that reads full-on rocker, don’t hesitate to pair a suede moto jacket with a sexy tie-neck blouse and extra-wide flares.
9. Reformation Noel Top ($128): Looking instantly polished with zero effort is easier said than done when you have a polished bow-neck blouse this sophisticated on standby. Pull a classic Blair Waldorf move by teaming it with a pleated mini skirt for an afternoon spent at the Met before changing into high-waisted flares and a suede moto jacket (or actually, this leopard print topper will do just fine) for drinks downtown.
Statement Bomber Jacket: Introducing the stereotypical LA look, complete with a sporty bomber, a funky graphic tee and cuffed denim. We’re definitely not hating it.
10. Nasty Gal Grandmaster Metallic Bomber Jacket ($78): Cool girl alert, cool girl alert! Backing down isn’t even an option this fall if you plan on reaching Chiara Ferragni’s level of fierceness. Play it cool by teaming your flashy new metallic bomber with a graphic tee, an acid-wash denim moto skirt and Chuck Taylors for an old-school look that’s so RN.
Pajama-Inspired Pieces: We *wish* we could look this nonchalant and effortless upon rolling out of bed. (Even her natural waves are enviable.) While the black and white polka dot print adds instant polish, it’s the designer satchel that makes this style blogger’s getup look like a million bucks.
11. Reformation Robe Dress ($198): ICYMI: Pajama dressing is totally a thing — and no surprise — LA girls are already on it. Nothing says understated luxury like a free-wheelin’ robe-turned-mini-wrap-dress in disguise that can be dressed up or down. Thanks to the railroad stripe print and detachable belt, it can double for an afternoon spent shopping at The Grove or attending a red carpet premiere. Sky-high steppers and a sultry body chain may be required by the p.m.
Nubby Toppers: This babe gets our approval for doin’ her thang. Between her blush pink Fuzzy Bear-inspired topper and statement-making bling, there’s nothing predictable about this West Coast-bound getup.
12. Free People Flared and Fluffy Jacket ($198): So. Much. Swagger. Whereas huggable outerwear is pretty much non-negotiable in a city like NYC, in LA, fuzzy toppers are worn more for their diva appeal. But don’t be mistaken, chilly evenings do exist! Proceed to whip out this burgundy-hued fluffy jacket with vintage Levi flares, platform sandals and a bolo necklace for a throwback look inspired by Miley.
Embroidered Denim: This just in: Embroidered denim is growing on us by the second. For the LA crowd, #sweaterweather is the equivalent of tossing on a cold-shoulder knit with backless mules and a designer bag. It must be nice.
13. Free People Shower Me With Flowers Jeans ($168): Fact: You know you’re a free-spirited West Coast babe at heart when you reach for embroidered jeans before uptight skinnies. In lieu of NYC’s blustery fall temps, LA weather is a lot more pleasant for exploring. Seasonal desert boots and a lace-up blouse (or an Aztec knit poncho come nightfall) are required for a sunny state of mind.
OTT T-Shirt Dress: Taking it down a notch isn’t even an option when your faux fur topper is this DDG. Coupled with a t-shirt dress and sporty kicks, this babe’s ready for a rock concert (or three).
14. Missguided Rolling Stones Fang T-Shirt Dress ($31): Maybe it’s Halloweekend or perhaps you’re just a fan of the Rolling Stones — either way, you’re not afraid to take it there with this alternative t-shirt dress. Swap out your sunny frames for a diva-inspired faux fur coat and shiny stiletto ankle boots (or old-school Adidas kicks) for a look that will take downtown LA by storm. Girl, you’ve got this.
Button-Front Skirt: Oversized knits and over-the-knee boots are two trends that shall not fly under your radar this season. Add in a wear-everywhere button-front skirt and you’re this close to reaching style MVP status.
15. BDG Denim Button-Front Skirt ($59): Live on the West Coast, have at least one denim button-front skirt tucked away for safekeeping. That’s a no-brainer, friends. Between the light blue wash and retro A-line silhouette, this wardrobe workhorse will style itself on more than one occasion. Team it with a vintage band tee, toss it on alongside a slouchy knit sweater in a fluorescent hue or take it there with a rocker-style fuzzy cardigan for all the style points this season.
Tie-Waist Culottes: The juxtaposition between ultra-feminine and polished — yet still dialed down at the same time — is making us want to start fresh with a brand spankin’ new capsule wardrobe. This Instababe’s sweet lace trench and lazy girl-approved tie-waist culottes are everything we want to be wearing to the office (and then some).
16. YSTR Jett Tie Pant ($178): Oh, this old thang? Easy-breezy like Sunday morning does it for this self-proclaimed LA girl who sips Capri Sun during her lunch break. Strike the perfect balance between comfortable and laid-back chic with these cropped denim tie pants that won’t cramp your style one bit. (Seriously, you won’t be able to take these bad boys off.) Just toss on a jersey bodysuit or a plain white tee for a day-to-night look that can be elevated with a printed boyfriend blazer.
Satin Pants With Sweaters: According to Jacey Duprie, “Silk n’ Sweaters” (her words, not ours) is the unofficial uniform of LA boss babes. We like the way she thinks.
17. Nasty Gal Walk the Shine Satin Jogger Pants ($48): Take note: THIS is what LA babes wear when they just don’t care. It doesn’t matter if you’re working from home, holding down the front desk or treating yo’self to a lazy Sunday, these millennial pink satin joggers are as close to foolproof as it gets. (Throw a fisherman sweater into the mix and then we’ll be talking.) The elastic waistline fit is so comfortable, there’s a good chance you’ll never want to take ‘em off. Count us in, please.
Slogan Denim Jacket: A surefire way to blend in with the LA crowd? Don a denim jacket — even better if it shows off your love for the Dodgers — and never take it off.
18. US by Understated Leather Slogan Denim Trucker Jacket ($189): When in doubt, do less with a vintage denim jacket that you probably uncovered at your favorite thrift store. Even better if you find one with slogan patches or personalize it with some rad enamel pins. (This trucker jacket’s message is especially fitting for LA girls with a DGAF ‘tude.) Keep the post-festival season vibes going with a floral frock, a ‘90s-inspired tattoo choker and some fringe ankle boots.
Which coast do you take the most style inspo from? Follow us on Pinterest for more Instababe-approved style hacks!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.